suggestions on a stainless steel muffler?

kawi600

got Coal for Christmas
Has anyone found a decent muffler in stainless steel?
I have an MBRP stainless system but its just way too loud for me. Would like to mod it and put a muffler in series with the resonator if I have room.
I did some digging and found the powerstroke muffler to be a good fit for flow and volume but I cant find one in stainless anywhere.

Big Honk'in Muffler (AKA: BHM) - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

There are plenty aftermarket ones that claim to be quiet, and in stainless. but theyre expensive as all get-out.
Worst case I can just use mild steel and paint it to buy some time.

Well I’ll tell you don’t but a Flo Pro stainless, mines all rusted (as is the rest of my stainless flo pro exhaust) and it probably only reduced the sound by 5%.

Those mufflers aint cheap either. More than I wanted to spend for sure.
Even stainless will show some rust on it. I think Ive had this system for 10 years or so? Its a little rusty but not bad.
The turbo sounds like an idea, just not sure how much noise reduction I might get.
Any mods needed on this 62/65/12 turbo if Im going to stuff somehting like a S472 behind it? I think II does some mods to this thing when they use it in their twins. Maybe 360* bushing, wastegate porting, cover spacer and housing size change?

If you’re honestly considering my rash suggestion, call power driven or talk to Zach (zfaylor) at North America Turbo. Zach gave me solid advice on a fairly simple goal I’m trying to achieve.

My cousin installed a 50” “trucker” muffler on his 06 cummins with 5” exhaust. He said this addition made the truck feel new again.
You could also make a muffler.

I have a diamond eye muffler on mine, its aluminized but they make a stainless version too. Fairly quiet but I have compounds as well.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Make sure it's a 309 or lower stainless. 304 is most common. Some use 400 series stainless and it will rust. I bought a Banks one back in the day for my 12V and it rusted pretty quick, and all the way through. Surprisingly, the Rolling Smoke Diesel galvanized one I picked up still looks decent and it's been about 10 years.

Muffler? What's a muffler?

yeah I know, I wouldnt have considered this like 20 years ago but I just wince every time I drive this thing late at night.. unless Im going thru one of those local NIMBY neighborhoods where they changed the limits from 35 to 20 just to piss off drivers.
Wish I could find a 'before and after' scenario to judge whether the turbo works well as a muffling device. Was already considering moving to tow twins anyhow.

I will say when I had twins on my truck With a 30” fte and a miter cut single stack I could not hear it at all in the cab and outside of the truck you couldn’t hear the exhaust over the engine at all. I took the resonator off and ran the exhaust out the back and it was about perfect, no drone and could barely hear it in the cab.

I will say when I had twins on my truck With a 30” fte and a miter cut single stack I could not hear it at all in the cab and outside of the truck you couldn’t hear the exhaust over the engine at all. I took the resonator off and ran the exhaust out the back and it was about perfect, no drone and could barely hear it in the cab.

That's because turbos are the best mufflers. There's been illogical times in my head when I've thought about compounds just to kill drone :lolly:

yeah I know, I wouldnt have considered this like 20 years ago but I just wince every time I drive this thing late at night.. unless Im going thru one of those local NIMBY neighborhoods where they changed the limits from 35 to 20 just to piss off drivers.
Wish I could find a 'before and after' scenario to judge whether the turbo works well as a muffling device. Was already considering moving to tow twins anyhow.

I'll put it to ya this way; one of the biggest reasons I never went twins is because they're just too darn quiet! Turbos are very effective muffling devices.

Dont you wind up losing a little spool when you add another turbo to your small single turbo?
spool is a big problem since I do a lot of hauling around town and city driving is a b*tch.
Could go to a smaller tow twins setup like HE351/S472?
I was wanting one of those super / turbo compound kits but money is tight.

Dont you wind up losing a little spool when you add another turbo to your small single turbo?

spool is a big problem since I do a lot of hauling around town and city driving is a b*tch.

Could go to a smaller tow twins setup like HE351/S472?

I was wanting one of those super / turbo compound kits but money is tight.
That's an excellent towing set, a friend of mine runs that with the 83mm turbine 472 and it works awesome.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Adding a second turbo always aids in better spool up characteristics if the turbos are properly sized.
A 351/472 combo is a nice towing arrangement. I think PDD offers that exact setup in a bolt on compound kit. Might be worth looking into for your situation.

Back