Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sled Pulling (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Super Stock Diesel 4x4 Build and First Hooks (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200659)

takedown95 07-16-2018 11:00 AM

Super Stock Diesel 4x4 Build and First Hooks

After taking 2016 off I decided to join the big boys and started building a SSDFWD last year. After a year and a half of work, delays, re-works, waiting on parts...etc., the truck was finished up at 3am the day of the hook.

All the pictures of the rebuild can be seen on my instagram or facebook.

https://www.instagram.com/tapmotorsportsmn/

https://www.facebook.com/tap.mn.12

Videos below. Overcame a broken tie rod end on the way to the scales to go 352’. Thanks to Van Haisley for getting me set up and @estacey82 and @shanek222 for the advice on the starting line. Thanks to Michael O’Conner and the Nasty Boys team as well as Larry Peterson #profab for the tie rod end fix.

SSDFWD NTPA-Rockwell, IA Thursday Night 2018 - YouTube

SSDFWD NTPA-Rockwell, IA Friday Night 2018 - YouTube

ryanss22 07-16-2018 11:56 AM

Very nice man! That's alot of work and time! Good to see it come together

Snedge 07-16-2018 01:02 PM

Nice.

CorneliusRox 07-16-2018 01:08 PM

Does your Facebook consist of only a profile pic or is it very private? Either way, sent a request to see some pictures/vids.

takedown95 07-16-2018 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneliusRox (Post 2674876)
Does your Facebook consist of only a profile pic or is it very private? Either way, sent a request to see some pictures/vids.

It's just private. Request accepted.

Timbeaux 07-16-2018 02:13 PM

Glad to see this one out and kicking ass!

bigstacks95 07-16-2018 02:41 PM

Been following you on Facebook. Glad to see it coming together! Good luck!

takedown95 07-16-2018 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbeaux38 (Post 2674885)
Glad to see this one out and kicking ass!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstacks95 (Post 2674888)
Been following you on Facebook. Glad to see it coming together! Good luck!

Thanks. We started to get the front end settled down after the first night and now we are working on weigh reduction. A fiberglass body is already on order but for now we are going to have to sacrifice some weight up front.

prostockpuller 07-16-2018 06:46 PM

Looks good! How did it stack up against the other SS trucks?

bigstacks95 07-16-2018 07:06 PM

Ive never seen a front end/trailing arm/shock setup like that. Of course its a little secluded up here in the northeast. Is that common in your area?

takedown95 07-17-2018 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostockpuller (Post 2674919)
Looks good! How did it stack up against the other SS trucks?

It would have finished 4th out of 9 trucks each night. Van and Atley were 370+ the first night, Gearhart was 366, I was 352, Bowling, Dickey, Kellogg, Stacey and Withrow were behind me. Similar results on the second night with Atley, Kellogg and Stacey at 341-344 and I was 339 and the rest behind me.

However, I was overweight so I would say I didn't embarrass myself too bad for the first time out but can't say much more than that until I get it down to weight. We will be pulling in Ft. Recovery, OH the 27th and 28th and will be down to weight and expect more trucks so, that will be a better measuring stick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstacks95 (Post 2674922)
Ive never seen a front end/trailing arm/shock setup like that. Of course its a little secluded up here in the northeast. Is that common in your area?

Front end set-ups on a SS truck are just like hitches, pretty much everyone has something different. With the way we set this truck up and the weight distribution along with hitch design we felt this was the best option. Again, once we get it down to weight and have a couple more runs on it we should be able to smooth it out even more.

prostockpuller 07-17-2018 11:16 AM

That's awesome....and I don't quite understand how you could not make weight....did u not use a tube frame? Will you pull at Bowling Green in August?

takedown95 07-17-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prostockpuller (Post 2674996)
That's awesome....and I don't quite understand how you could not make weight....did u not use a tube frame? Will you pull at Bowling Green in August?

Still have a stock Ford frame, A steel body with reinforcements for the lift (1800# plus) and the front plate on the weight box was 840# by itself.

I am not convinced a tube frame is the way to go. I've seen too many break and when they flex, they flex bad. We will drop 1500# going to a fiberglass body and we replaced the front 1.5" plate with 1/4" plate so will drop another 700# there. Hoping to have 300# of movable weight for the rest of this season and then put another 1500# up front with the fiberglass body next year.

We are planning on being at Bowling Green.

smokinVE 07-17-2018 11:57 AM

Nice! Congratulations of the finish product.

Friend request sent.

SmokeShow 07-17-2018 04:03 PM

As with everything you do... it looks top notch. Congrats!

lightsOUT 07-17-2018 10:10 PM

I’m a puller from when diesel trucks started but I haven’t watched a live hook since 2013. I’m way out of the loop but.... that’s Erik Stacey’s old truck isn’t it?

I don’t have social media and I can’t look at your book or gram accounts, I only looked at the YouTube vids. So if there’s a whole back story that’s common knowledge I’m unaware, haha.

RascalMafia 07-17-2018 11:13 PM

I fkn love that truck! Nice to see it back out on the track.

ComnRailPwr 07-18-2018 05:33 AM

It's not his old truck. It's just the body off of it. Following the build on the book. Very nice work with no expenses spared.

takedown95 07-18-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokinVE (Post 2675003)
Nice! Congratulations of the finish product.

Friend request sent.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeShow (Post 2675030)
As with everything you do... it looks top notch. Congrats!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightsOUT (Post 2675064)
I’m a puller from when diesel trucks started but I haven’t watched a live hook since 2013. I’m way out of the loop but.... that’s Erik Stacey’s old truck isn’t it?

I don’t have social media and I can’t look at your book or gram accounts, I only looked at the YouTube vids. So if there’s a whole back story that’s common knowledge I’m unaware, haha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RascalMafia (Post 2675065)
I fkn love that truck! Nice to see it back out on the track.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ComnRailPwr (Post 2675073)
It's not his old truck. It's just the body off of it. Following the build on the book. Very nice work with no expenses spared.

I appreciate all the comments. As mentioned by others its E's old body and the chassis was actually Rocky Roark's old chassis. We redid the entire chassis and running gear with the exception of the rear axle housing, ladder bars and frame rails. Those were pretty solid and only had to do some reinforcements. The hitch, driveshafts, front axle, drop box, clutch, hubs, center sections, suspension....etc were changed for my set-up.

jasonc 07-18-2018 04:47 PM

Mechanical injection?