Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shop Talk - Tool and Shop Discussion! (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=280)
-   -   Organizing the tool box (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199687)

redneckroot 03-21-2018 11:00 PM

Organizing the tool box

The time has come to start organizing all of my boxes and tool cart.

I'm looking for ideas for sockets and wrenches. Most of the socket holders stand the sockets up which requires a deep drawer. I'd like something that lays them down.

kleann 03-23-2018 04:59 PM

If you have no other choice than lay them down, these are the best quality. https://www.amazon.com/VIM-Tools-MR1..._&dpSrc=detail

If you have the choice to stand them up, these are my favorite. Billet Aluminum Socket Organizing Trays

kleann 03-23-2018 05:04 PM

for wrenches I like these the best
Ernst (ERN5086)

but the ones that don't grip are decent as well.
Bottom-line pricing on Proto 3000R at ToolTopia.com

these last ones work well if you want to keep a large set in the same organizer.
- 6012 20 Tool Wrench Rail Organizers - Red #6012

Justappumped24v 03-23-2018 07:09 PM

Harbor freight socket holders are the bomb

redneckroot 03-23-2018 07:13 PM

I like the wrench setup.

For sockets I'd really like a tray that lays them down. Keep the ideas coming.

Bad Moose 03-23-2018 07:34 PM

I agree with Kleann. If you have to lay them down use a rail. The magnetic ones look cool but get old after a little bit.

For wrenches the same as Kleann also. But I also use the foam ones from craftsman: Craftsman Universal Tool Divider System

They come in two strips and you cut them to length. I didn't cut them and stuck them down. You could do a whole wrench set from 9/32 to 1 5/16 and still have extra for specialty wrenched and such. They held up in a service truck for over 10 years.

Burningtire 03-24-2018 09:43 AM

For standing up sockets I like the 3 row snap on ones. This is if you have shallow, semi deep, and deeps sockets. They have them in 1/4 and 3/8. I'm not sure if they have them in 1/2. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...eb4179e3d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

redneckroot 03-25-2018 12:12 AM

How well do the sockets stay on those rails?

mfsuper90 03-25-2018 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckroot (Post 2661514)
How well do the sockets stay on those rails?

The rails I have are twist locks. Good idea and nice when you take them places, but a pain if your not going to be moving the whole rail around.

I second the Habor freight organizers. They look almost indentical to the snap on ones that were posted earlier

Justappumped24v 03-25-2018 01:59 PM

Trust me the harbor freight stand ups are the way to go! They do not bounce out even when a semi truck takes the front end of you service vehicle

4x4dually 03-26-2018 08:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I like the strips myself. I can grab the strip I need and not go back to the box because I always get the wrong one the first time.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...1&d=1522070038

As for wrenches, I got these strips from I think Matco. Row of standards and row of metrics.

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...1&d=1522070038

Meyers Farms 03-26-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4dually (Post 2661640)

Are those rattler tails on the left?

4x4dually 03-26-2018 12:02 PM

Correct. We usually dispatch of 6-10 a year on our place. Timer Rattlers. Or velvet tails, which ever you prefer.

redneckroot 03-27-2018 08:30 AM

I like the look of that as long as the sockets stay on the rails. The wench setup is exactly what I've been trying to find.

4x4dually 03-27-2018 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redneckroot (Post 2661763)
I like the look of that as long as the sockets stay on the rails. The wench setup is exactly what I've been trying to find.

They will. Every now and then you might have to put a tad more spring on the holders with your fingers. They are cheap and easy to use.

I lied, the wrench strips aren't Matco, they are SnapOn. They are adhesive backed.

Wrench Organizer, Red (For larger wrenches)

Wrench Organizer, Black (For smaller wrenches)

WUnderwood 03-27-2018 11:50 AM

I am looking to do some serious organization in my toolbox, and probably buying another one that is bigger because of this thread. Tired of having all my tools in different drawers because I don't have enough room. Looking at a 41" wide Kobalt that they have at Lowe's.

Anyone have any suggestions other than Letgo, Craigslist, eBay, Facebook marketplace to buy a good, preferably used but probably buying new black tool chest, that I can store all my hand tools/wrenches/sockets/ratchets/screwdrivers/etc?

4x4dually 03-27-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WUnderwood (Post 2661779)
Anyone have any suggestions other than Letgo, Craigslist, eBay, Facebook marketplace to buy a good, preferably used but probably buying new black tool chest, that I can store all my hand tools/wrenches/sockets/ratchets/screwdrivers/etc?

I'm waiting on my father to retire from his currently 64 years working in then owning the body shop. With any luck, his huge ass Matco boxes will be moving an hour south to my shop. :D I may need a step stool to reach the top. LOL

Chris Tobin 03-27-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WUnderwood (Post 2661779)
I am looking to do some serious organization in my toolbox, and probably buying another one that is bigger because of this thread. Tired of having all my tools in different drawers because I don't have enough room. Looking at a 41" wide Kobalt that they have at Lowe's.

I found my used SnapOn rollaway on ebay for a great deal. It was being sold by a pawn shop...

Stormin08 03-27-2018 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4dually (Post 2661764)
They will. Every now and then you might have to put a tad more spring on the holders with your fingers. They are cheap and easy to use.

I lied, the wrench strips aren't Matco, they are SnapOn. They are adhesive backed.

Wrench Organizer, Red (For larger wrenches)

Wrench Organizer, Black (For smaller wrenches)

I don't recall where, but I saw a set of these that were magnetic...even better than adhesive I think.

Chris Tobin 03-27-2018 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleann (Post 2661322)
for wrenches I like these the best
Ernst (ERN5086)

but the ones that don't grip are decent as well.
Bottom-line pricing on Proto 3000R at ToolTopia.com

these last ones work well if you want to keep a large set in the same organizer.
- 6012 20 Tool Wrench Rail Organizers - Red #6012

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormin08 (Post 2661818)
I don't recall where, but I saw a set of these that were magnetic...even better than adhesive I think.

The company in the 3rd link above offer theirs in plain, adhesive and magnetic, and I think they are also priced much better than tool-truck ones...