Roll cage/bar

Drothgeb

Almost Fast-N-Loud
I'm giving thought to roll over protection. I'd probably just do a 8 point roll bar, but it's a street truck and I don't want the rear braces running through the top of the cab.

I looked in to the 4 point roll cage inside without the rear braces. But after reading the SFI specs, it seems like a lot of added tubing that's going to make it pretty hard to get in and out.

It also occured to me that I might be able to put the roll bar and rear braces on the outside, and just run the door braces through the cab under the window. Then throw a crossbrace between them inside for harness and seat support. Has anybody done this, or have a better idea? Or, would it be better to do the internal cage and leave out some of the tubing for access?

Like I said, it's a street truck, but I expect to be high 10s. Maybe 10.5 if they setup a 10.5 class.

Single cab?

I wouldn't think that are frames would bend and twist like a small car would. And if your only wanting this for safety. I would just build a nice in cab cage to mount 5 point seat belts too and protect you. maybe use Swing out side bar to make getting in and our easier.

I don't agree with a roll bar on a street truck unless you plan to rock a helmet everytime in the truck. A couple weeks ago a guy died because his head hit the bar in his car after being hit. This has happened many more times in the past. Have I driven cars/trucks with bars on the street without a helmet, yes. But lately, I've been thinking heavily on this practice.

If doing swing outs and you plan on taking them out of the truck for street use, make sure the butt ends are out of the way where you can't get speared in a wreak. I've seen a few like that also. Scary.

I am a NHRA Chassis Inspector. You can get by with just a roll down to 10 flat. That is a main hoop, 2 back braces attached to within 5" of the top of the main hoop, cross brace for seat and belt mounting and a swing out door bar. So for your question the back brace must attach to within 5" of the top of the hoop. No you can not go below the rear glass and attach to the cross brace or the hoop as desribed above

I don't agree with a roll bar on a street truck unless you plan to rock a helmet everytime in the truck. A couple weeks ago a guy died because his head hit the bar in his car after being hit. This has happened many more times in the past. Have I driven cars/trucks with bars on the street without a helmet, yes. But lately, I've been thinking heavily on this practice.

If doing swing outs and you plan on taking them out of the truck for street use, make sure the butt ends are out of the way where you can't get speared in a wreak. I've seen a few like that also. Scary.

very good point!

I am a NHRA Chassis Inspector. You can get by with just a roll down to 10 flat. That is a main hoop, 2 back braces attached to within 5" of the top of the main hoop, cross brace for seat and belt mounting and a swing out door bar. So for your question the back brace must attach to within 5" of the top of the hoop. No you can not go below the rear glass and attach to the cross brace or the hoop as desribed above

My plan to make it compliant, was to install the main hoop on the outside with the standard back braces and horizontal brace also on the outside. If I keep the main hoop within 1" of the glass, that put's me within 6" of my helment on the inside. Then, I was going to run the door braces through the cab under the glass. Where the door braces come through the cab, I was going to weld in a second horizontal brace for the seat and harness attachment.

So it will be like a standard roll bar, only with 2 horizontals, one on the inside and one on the outside. Would that be legal?

Having the main hoop on the outside might seems like it would be safer while driving without a helment too? I was going to do all welded too, no swing out.

Last edited:
Well nothing says it has to be inside the cab just that it needs to be constructed as to protect the driver in event of roll-over. If I understand you another piece from the cross bar for the seat for mounting and seatbelts? Also all bars must attach to the frame. These trucks have full frames, so there is no way to get around it.

Well nothing says it has to be inside the cab just that it needs to be constructed as to protect the driver in event of roll-over. If I understand you another piece from the cross bar for the seat for mounting and seatbelts? Also all bars must attach to the frame. These trucks have full frames, so there is no way to get around it.

Yes, it would be a 2nd cross brace on the inside. And all of it would be tied to frame. Also, I don't see a spec about outrigger construction to support the roll bar from the frame. Is there a SFI # to reference?

I dunno, my engine might have some kind of adverse reaction if I tried to stick it in a Ford :hehe:

If going to run a roll bar on the street make sure your seat comes all the way up
Behind your head and beside it.

Last edited:
If going to run a roll bar on the street make sure your seat comes all the way up
Behind your head and beside it.

That's what's got me to thinking that it might be better on the outside of the cab.

My S&W cage came with 2x4 square tubing for the outriggers

Sent with a Droid RAZR in one hand and 14,000 volts in the other.

How well did your S&W cage fit? Thru dash, or in front of it?

thru dash the bends fit fine, everything is too long and has to be cut down to fit. my truck is an extended cab so i added an extra bar for my belts since i placed the main hoop close to the back glass.

I don't know Rob, White Out has a roll bar set up good to 10 sec and the way it is constructed I don't think I would hit my head on the roll bar unless I didn't have my factory seat belt on. It up there quite a ways. If I hit my head on the bar, it will also hit the top of the cab. I don't worry about it at all. I take the side bars out for street use. But the hardest thing on my body is my head.:D

My plan to make it compliant, was to install the main hoop on the outside with the standard back braces and horizontal brace also on the outside. If I keep the main hoop within 1" of the glass, that put's me within 6" of my helment on the inside. Then, I was going to run the door braces through the cab under the glass. Where the door braces come through the cab, I was going to weld in a second horizontal brace for the seat and harness attachment.

So it will be like a standard roll bar, only with 2 horizontals, one on the inside and one on the outside. Would that be legal?

Having the main hoop on the outside might seems like it would be safer while driving without a helment too? I was going to do all welded too, no swing out.

If this is legal I am going to set my truck up this way.

Back