Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   John Deere (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=120)
-   -   JD 4455 Value and dilemma (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206874)

Red Sleeper 12-24-2022 07:18 AM

JD 4455 Value and dilemma

JD 4455, quad range, 2wd. We bought the tractor in 2016 or 2017. It was used to thrash pecan trees by previous owner. Before that it came from the Oklahoma area given the red dirt we have found and the stickers.

Sense purchasing it we have:
- replaced the clutch
- new rear main seal and housing
- new exhaust housing on turbo
- new AC compressor
- replaced a few steel hyd. lines
- rocker shaft seals
- fixed small rust areas on rear fenders
- painted the tractor and rims with automotive paint
- re-loomed all wiring around engine
- cab kit
- batteries

Tractor has around 7,000 hrs. Goodyear radial tires in decent shape, front tires are good, 2 sets of remotes, draw bar, top link. The tractor is honestly in very good shape, presents well, stays under a roof, engine burns clean and sounds fantastic just like any good running 55 series, hydraulics are good, tractor will pull the earth off its axis.

Any idea the value of this tractor? I'm fairly up to date and know what a honest and good clean iron series brings for value. We are undecided on selling or keeping it. Seems these tractors are almost appreciating faster than gold, honestly.

Nick

Red Sleeper 12-28-2022 08:58 AM

Bump. All the tractor guys must be on vacation.

Meyers Farms 12-28-2022 11:48 AM

I missed this thread because of the holidays, but the bump brought it back up for me.

Sounds like a really nice tractor! I don't deal with tractors everyday, so I would think Chris would be able to give you a better opinion than me, but I'm thinking $55k.

Signature600 12-28-2022 02:00 PM

They're hot right now, I wouldn't expect that to last another couple years though.

Some people are paying DUMB money for them right now.

If it's got axle duals, maybe you could get $55K for it, there aren't many out there with 6-8K hours listed at that price. 4-6K hour tractors are listed for $60K, and maybe they are actually selling them at that money, I don't know.

If you want to cash in, and aren't worried about replacing it, sell it NOW. If you need something to replace it, you'll spend the same inflated price to buy something different that you don't know the history of.

You can ask whatever you want right now, and probably get it...but 2 years ago that would have been $40K MAX, probably mid 30's real world money.

Chris

4x4dually 12-29-2022 10:41 AM

Damn that's be nice to have. Damn I'll never afford anything with a SoundGard cab on it. :hehe:

Signature600 12-29-2022 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4dually (Post 2760737)
Damn that's be nice to have. Damn I'll never afford anything with a SoundGard cab on it. :hehe:

For the same money you can buy a LOT nicer stuff than 40 year old Deere's...

Chris

4x4dually 12-29-2022 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signature600 (Post 2760738)
For the same money you can buy a LOT nicer stuff than 40 year old Deere's...

With a lot more electronic shit to fail. :D But I hear ya loud and clear. ;) I actually would love to have a 4555 WFWD.

Signature600 12-29-2022 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4dually (Post 2760739)
With a lot more electronic shit to fail. :D But I hear ya loud and clear. ;) I actually would love to have a 4555 WFWD.

No, not exactly.

It's a great big world outside of Mother Deere

For mid 40's you can buy a Red, Orange, or Silver with a very reliable controller that will put a 4020 to shame, and be a TON better than anything built before 1994 with Green paint.
Chris

J-Pipes 12-29-2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Signature600 (Post 2760740)
No, not exactly.

It's a great big world outside of Mother Deere

For mid 40's you can buy a Red, Orange, or Silver with a very reliable controller that will put a 4020 to shame, and be a TON better than anything built before 1994 with Green paint.
Chris

Typical deere guys, insist on overpaying for junk just because it's an ugly shade of green!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

4x4dually 12-30-2022 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pipes (Post 2760741)
Typical deere guys, insist on overpaying for junk just because it's an ugly shade of green!

Did you score a 9 on your Reading Comprehension section of your ACT? For 1, I said, I know there is much more outside of Deere. Don't think I don't look over all the new stuff I find out there hoping some day to afford one. And 2, I would never "over-pay" for junk. I would never pay $50K+ for a 30 yr old tractor....green or red or pink. I'm not a 'typical deere guy' I just happen to really love the 4455-4555 stuff, the soundgard cabs, the way they drive etc. I grew up like some in a 4430 and just like most things about them. You wait and see. I'll bet your left nut that in another 30+ years, those old deeres will be 60+ yrs old and still in the field and all the new electronic wiz-bang kabotas and what not will be waiting on emissions parts. Not wishing it to happen, just a prediction.

Signature600 12-30-2022 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4dually (Post 2760751)
Did you score a 9 on your Reading Comprehension section of your ACT? For 1, I said, I know there is much more outside of Deere. Don't think I don't look over all the new stuff I find out there hoping some day to afford one. And 2, I would never "over-pay" for junk. I would never pay $50K+ for a 30 yr old tractor....green or red or pink. I'm not a 'typical deere guy' I just happen to really love the 4455-4555 stuff, the soundgard cabs, the way they drive etc. I grew up like some in a 4430 and just like most things about them. You wait and see. I'll bet your left nut that in another 30+ years, those old deeres will be 60+ yrs old and still in the field and all the new electronic wiz-bang kabotas and what not will be waiting on emissions parts. Not wishing it to happen, just a prediction.

Kubota...:umno: Wrong Orange

I won't disagree on electronics. I have learned which are good, which are bad. The wiring is the main problem.

I find it comical though knowing what you do for a living you hate electronics so much! I understand WHY, don't get me wrong, it's just funny!

I agree with you on about all of your points. What people are paying for old stuff that is only good for pulling something is ridiculous. You can't pull much of a planter because the hydraulics suck. The lights suck, the cabs aren't quiet or sealed as good, etc, etc. Do they run, absolutely, but when the use is limited, what "good" are they in the long run. It's not just Deere, all the tractors from that era are in similar positions, some are better in areas, some are worse.

My point is, and you know it, that there are better, more comfortable, more useful tractors that can be had for the same or less money than a comparable Green one...and they're not Kubota. They are JUNK if you are going to actually use it...we tried to push snow with a 110hp trade in Kubota on the lot over the weekend...what a waste!

Just discussion, but you and I are pretty much on the same page!
Chris

J-Pipes 12-30-2022 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4dually (Post 2760751)

I didn't say buy a brand new one! I still feel the Ford's are a bargain compared to the red and green of the similar vintage. I'm just not impressed with Deere stuff for how it's hyped up. Also see some Case stuff from time to time for a fraction of the price of a similar competitor.
Like Chris said though, if you're using newer equipment, you probably need newer tractors to keep up with the hydraulics. I do recall one of the bigger local farmers talking about that probably 20yrs ago. He was using mostly 4430 and up deere's, but there was something he had a 6610 Ford on, when asked why, he said it was the only one with enough hydraulic capacity to run whatever it was.
I mean if all you're doing is dragging stuff around, be cool like Chris and get some big Minneapolis Moline's! Or really mess with people and look at the underrated, misunderstood and misused IH 2+2 tractors.
I should add the disclaimer on tractors that I'm just not a cab guy. Only ones I've been in are the inlaws soundgaurd Deere's, I wasn't impressed, rather have an open station, rops and canopy are acceptable, but sometimes a hinderence to the specific use of the tractor. Cabs just feel like they're taking away from the experience, like a windshield on a motorcycle, or condoms for sex.

RascalMafia 12-30-2022 09:14 AM

I have always enjoyed the HVAC experience more than the sunburn experience.

Signature600 12-30-2022 09:14 AM

LOL...nice J

As far as cab vs open, depends on what I'm doing. Somethings on the farm I prefer a canopy and a breeze, but others, screw that, I want a pressurized cab with HVAC!
Chris

Meyers Farms 12-30-2022 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pipes (Post 2760754)
Or really mess with people and look at the underrated, misunderstood and misused IH 2+2 tractors.

:what: Have you lost your damn mind? bif

As far as cabs go…..hop on an open station with some sloppy manure in a side discharge spreader during a wind shift…..might change your mind about a cab tractor!

Speaking of cabs, I just picked up a new to me 4430 a couple weeks ago….want to take her for a spin J?:poke::Cheer:

Feed Bunk 12-30-2022 01:12 PM

Totally missed this thread. I’d say upper 40s lower 50s this week. Next week I look for things to soften a little, farmers get stupid not wanting to pay income tax. I’ve spent a lot of hrs in a 4455 money making tractors for us. We run older Deeres and no longer trade anything off, we just acquire more.

J-Pipes 12-30-2022 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyers Farms (Post 2760763)
:what: Have you lost your damn mind? bif

As far as cabs go…..hop on an open station with some sloppy manure in a side discharge spreader during a wind shift…..might change your mind about a cab tractor!

Speaking of cabs, I just picked up a new to me 4430 a couple weeks ago….want to take her for a spin J?:poke::Cheer:

Eh, they're nice enough for what they are, just wildly overhyped by the deere fan boys. Same as HD motorcycles, nice enough for what they are, but by no means a well engineered performance machine.
I'll still be an open station guy, just plan your route accordingly to account for the wind, no different than mowing grass.
In the end, you guys will probably keep chasing after overpriced pre electronics, pre emissions stuff, and I'll just get my 1940's antiques out, and have just as big or bigger smile on my face!

Feed Bunk 12-31-2022 09:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
You should’ve came here last week and fed cattle in -30 windchill. We have open station tractors, but they were parked in the shed. I’ll gladly take a cab anyway. I even had my old 14 out.

J-Pipes 12-31-2022 10:41 AM

I'd been game! Would beat working in a big shop, I'd love to be a real farmer, but due to family dynamics outside of my control, I got screwed by the prick "in charge". He doesn't want to do anything with the farm, never has, hell he doesn't even know how to start a tractor, he's just an asshole who's afraid he's going to lose a penny.

Meyers Farms 12-31-2022 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feed Bunk (Post 2760774)
You should’ve came here last week and fed cattle in -30 windchill. We have open station tractors, but they were parked in the shed. I’ll gladly take a cab anyway. I even had my old 14 out.

Sharp looking 14 bs!