New Twins 40/3B and high EGTs

dodge359

I installed an hx40/HT3B set up on my truck and am still in the process of retorquing the head. I havent had the boost over 30psi and I am really light on the throttle. I can hit 1250* no problem.:eek:wned: Any suggestions?

What's your total boost vs. primary boost vs. drive pressure readings? what kind of waste gate(s) are you using? Are you blowing tons of smoke at 30 lbs/1250*? What's your custom plate look like? My hunch is, with an agressive plate and the 191 valves, you may be pushing way more fuel than necessary, at least as compared to the air being pushed through. Need more info before anyone can provide meaningful suggestions.

I'm still tuning my PDR 40/3B set up. I haven't had a problem with excessive EGTs, but I'm still working on getting the boost up. Tuning the external waste gate on the manifold is helping.

-Jay

I'll agree with forrest. At 30psi the big turbo is probably just starting to get spooled up so all your running off of is the little turbo. Get the boost on up and I'll bet your EGT's go down.

Check your primary boost once you crank it up. Originally with my external gate + the internal gate was simply too much and the 3B was doing all the work. I removed the external gate, world of difference.

I am running an internal wategate that I oped up as much as I could and like an idiot I didnt drill into the other volute.:banghead: I dont have my other boost gauge in yet. I dont have a drive pressure gauge where do I get one?

WideOpenThrottl said:
Check your primary boost once you crank it up. Originally with my external gate + the internal gate was simply too much and the 3B was doing all the work. I removed the external gate, world of difference.

THis is true

wastegate ur top turbo if you can till about 20-24 psi, its what my 35 is gated to, i dont run an external, just the stock wastegate, and yes the egts get a bit hot, but once the big un lights, u see the pyro needle movin backwards. No joke...

Rick

Good deal. Thanks alot guys. Thought I may have gone out of the pan into the fire here. I will post what happens after I torque the head twice more and get the second boost gauge in.

Txdiesel, how you liking that Valair clutch? I will probably try it next as I keep killing these Southbends. I dont want the DD because it rattles.

Well I retorqued the head and went for a drive. The wastegate opened at about 35psi and as soon as it did the truck started to run really rough almost like it had water in the fuel. I turned in the screw on the elbow and went for another run, this time the wastegate didnt open at all and man she hit 1500* right now. Both pulls the boost shot tp 60 (as much as my gauge reads). Should I take out the boost elbow and adjust it with the w/g actuator. The thing that worries me is the shutter it getts when the wastegate opens on the 40.

dodge359 said:
Txdiesel, how you liking that Valair clutch? I will probably try it next as I keep killing these Southbends. I dont want the DD because it rattles.

I love it!

works flawlessly for my application.. PM sent

Rick

Turning the screw in on the elbow raises boost. Back the screw out. On my 62/12 a 1/4 turn out on the boost elbow lowers boost by about 10psi.

I removed the elbow and replaced it with a factory one and still shutters when the gate opens and gets damned hot, fast.

Have you check for boost leaks?

If not, make something to pressurize the system to check for leaks... the smallest leak will make an EGT difference (mine was a blown intercooler)

Lavon

Our 06 gets up to 1800*, we have lots of fuel though.....lol Top charger is gated at about 25 psi but that will change since we have installed Nitrous.

Even when our boost levels are 60+ still 1200-1500*

BgBlDodge said:
I'll agree with forrest. At 30psi the big turbo is probably just starting to get spooled up so all your running off of is the little turbo. Get the boost on up and I'll bet your EGT's go down.

This is true. My 40/3b on my 01 the 3b wouldn't start boosting until about 25PSI and wasnt fully light until about 30PSI.

I pretty sure its lighting. The 40 by itself would only make about 45psi and paired with this 3b I peg the 60 pound gauge I have. Still runs hotter than he11 and the wastegate keeps fluttering. I have tried adjusting the w/g both ways and the star wheel (Made it a turd) The EGTs dont go down unless I adjust the wheel way back and then I can only get about 30psi.

Just because your making a lot of boost doesn't mean the big charger is lighting. My buddy's 35/3b combo was a laggy, smoky, hot dog but after some tweaking on the wastegates and fixing some leaks that truck is a bad running son of a gun. Lightning fast spool up, stupid high boost, low egt's.

Back