Broke down in Lake Havasu-No 4 Fuel Line Leak

timmahhhh

Hey guys, I am broke down in Lake Havasu. We are in an Air B and B so no real emergency but need to get home to CA tomorrow. I have a pinhole leak in the no 4 fuel line. Has anyone been through this.

The fix looks easy but the part may not be available locally. Can you pull it and get it welded? Anyone know where to get a fuel rail cap to just cap the outlet and drive home? I am at a bit of a loss. Thanks in advance. My cell is 626-392-5855 if you want to text me who I should call etc.

:bang

Hey guys, I am broke down in Lake Havasu. We are in an Air B and B so no real emergency but need to get home to CA tomorrow. I have a pinhole leak in the no 4 fuel line. Has anyone been through this.

The fix looks easy but the part may not be available locally. Can you pull it and get it welded? Anyone know where to get a fuel rail cap to just cap the outlet and drive home? I am at a bit of a loss. Thanks in advance. My cell is 626-392-5855 if you want to text me who I should call etc.

:bang

Hmm maybe a compression fitting from the local hardware store would suffice?

I thought about that, but the systems about 25000 pounds of pressure, so it scares me. Thanks for the thought!

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Maybe i its somewhat common and most Cummins places will stock it, always a junkyard too.

I hope there is a dealer out there! I can mail one to you overnight if you want! I'm in San Diego got a couple on the shelf!

All Cummins places will stock that part. I keep one in my 06 since it a fairly common issue and a friends dad got stranded one time.

The replacements are updated and should not have the issue anymore, the clip is different that holds them to the head IIRC. The original style vibrates loose and causes there to be a crack in the line due to vibration.

Probably sympathetic to the issue at hand.
Fix the issue correctly, if you haven't already, and clear the code.
It may clear with a battery disconnect, or after so many key on/run cycles.

Mark.

I haven't got a clue what I screwed up, but that code won't clear. There's absolutely no change when I unplug the sensor at the back of the Cp3 pump but it dies instantly when I unplug the sensor from the rail.

Pull the line back off and remove the crossover tube, polish the end and torque back down. You’ll be good to go.
Winner winner chicken dinner! That fixed it. I guess I'm too dumb to torque in a fuel line without loosening the Supply tube.

Thanks for the great advice. My problem is fixed I'm sure grateful for everybody who chimed in with good advice!

Winner winner chicken dinner! That fixed it. I guess I'm too dumb to torque in a fuel line without loosening the Supply tube.

Thanks for the great advice. My problem is fixed I'm sure grateful for everybody who chimed in with good advice!

They will do that.
Sometimes, I swear, if you just breathe on the line, the tube leaks.

Always good to go through them all, especially if you just put it all back together for injectors.
Always warm it up, let it cool down, then re-torque the tubes.

At any rate, glad you got it resolved. :cool:

Mark.

I've always told everyone I know with the 5.9 CR's to keep a #4 line and the tools in the glove box. It's not really an "if" but a "when" situation. Travis is right on about the newest versions. The line has been changed twice. The first one, 4988808, also had issues, but the new one seems to be good. It's a 5289447.

Back