4BT CAV to VE Injection Pump??

Tobin

5.7 IDI Powaa!
I haven't seen this in person yet, so I am just going off of what he has told me and trying to gather parts for him so when I get time I can get it fixed for him. Here is the question.

My brother in law bought a Cummins 4BT powered generator that has a CAV injection pump. Engine wouldn't start, I told him to pull the pump off and take it to a pump shop since fuel wasn't getting to the injectors. Pump is shot, I guess they are discontinued and big money to repair. My thought is to replace it with a VE pump. Couple questions on that:

1) Is there a VE pump with a governor that you can set it at 1800 RPMs and it will keep that engine speed as engine load increases?

2) Will a VE pump bolt in place of a CAV pump

3) Anything else I should be aware of?

I was thinking about calling Seth and seeing if he can set a VE pump governor up to work on a generator.

Unless the hard parts are destroyed, the CAV pump has one of the widest production runs ever, in everything from skid steer, back hoes, tractors, generators and light plants.

Full rebuild kits are under 150 (chinabay stuff)

Like crackerman said, CAV pumps should not be that expensive to rebuild. PM me if you want with a pump number or engine serial number and I can get you an approximate cost. VE are not ideal for those applications, which is why Cummins used CAV and Stanadyne pumps a lot on gensets. But a VE will more or less bolt up and work if thats how you want to go.

Like crackerman said, CAV pumps should not be that expensive to rebuild. PM me if you want with a pump number or engine serial number and I can get you an approximate cost. VE are not ideal for those applications, which is why Cummins used CAV and Stanadyne pumps a lot on gensets. But a VE will more or less bolt up and work if thats how you want to go.

I'll get the info when I can look at the engine (when I get home in December). A replacement pump would be great.

Like others have said, those lucas cav (now delphi) pumps are still serviceable. I don't have the tooling for them, but a ton of fuel shops still do. If it sat for any amount of time the plungers are probably stuck in the rotor- easily fixed by an overhaul and a good soak in calibrating fluid.

Back