Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   2WD Pullers (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=190)
-   -   newbe (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145594)

shane 25 11-29-2012 08:49 PM

newbe

i want to start pulling sleds with my dodge need advice on where to start and is this a good sport to get into:ft:

kino_fab 11-30-2012 12:05 AM

There is plenty of info on here about the sport. Just gotta look around.Most say it's not worth the effort with a 2wd, but in my own opinion its a hell of alot more fun driving a 2wd than a 4wd.

First thing to ask yourself, is this a daily driver or track only. If it's a daily driver, I wouldn't pull it. Alot of modifications need to be made just so it will hook good enough to put on a good show. Plus the stock rear axle will not hold up to much.

If your going with an all out track only truck, then here are the basics:

Find a bigger rear axle. F106, SQHD, or anything else you can find in a 2.5 ton truck. Gearing is key also. Somewhere between a 13.5-14.5 final drive ratio is where you want to be. If using a NV4500 5spd, try to find between a 4.56-4.88 rearend gear and pull 2nd gear.

Power- get as much as you can!!!

Traction bars/Ladder bars is a must for getting the truck to hook up good. Make the suspension solid with either suspension blocks or do a fully welded rear suspension with a ladder bar setup.

Weight balance is key also. Every truck is different. Usually need alot of weight on the back but every now and then some weight up front will help to keep the front end down and not loose hitch hieght, plus so you can half way steer going down the track.

There is still alot more to it than that, but alot of thing you will learn as you go.

Fireman450 12-01-2012 09:20 PM

There is lots of info here. You just have to take it as generic and adapt it to fit your local rules and what your plans are for the truck both long term and short term...
Good luck

2wpuller 12-02-2012 03:29 PM

You guys did a good job breaking in a newbie.

Dale

blacksm0king 12-05-2012 06:45 PM

These guys really helped me out, I'm still just getting started, here's my thread, I asked a lot of questions and got a lot of answers, so skim through here, and also there are a lot of the 4x4 pulling threads that can be adapted for our 2wd's. Looking for some advice on a 2wd puller. - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

6.4 F-350 12-05-2012 07:07 PM

First I would look at the balance in your check book and be able to say, I don't need any of that $$ any way. :) I know that is where I am at right now. Lol

Fireman450 12-25-2012 10:33 AM

Exactly ^^^^^^

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk 2