Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   new 48re rebuild problem (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=200406)

dangerous06 06-10-2018 10:51 PM

new 48re rebuild problem

Just rebuilt an 06 new everything all Goerend parts including VB and TQ.
Truck runs great only issue is an annoying quick down shift with the smallest pedal increase. So getting on the freeway give it pedal and downshifts 3000rpm hangs and then upshifts. Going to pass someone give it pedal and it downshifts even at 60mph! so 3500rpm hangs there for about 5 seconds and then up shifts?! Very annoying. I took all pressure readings and everything is normal. It will even do it at 40mph and drop down to 2nd if I punch it!
Any help is appreciated scoured the internet and nothing like I'm experiencing.

YOUNG GUNS15 06-10-2018 11:31 PM

Kind of a rare problem but not unheard of, it is remodeled by grinding or chopping off this part of the TV valve so it doesn’t bottom out. Leave enough for the spring to stay centered.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...18297de250.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YOUNG GUNS15 06-10-2018 11:32 PM

Also check the ttva is functioning correctly

SPEEDSHIFT 06-13-2018 09:38 AM

info@goerend.com

dangerous06 06-13-2018 10:45 PM

Dave and I have this thing all gauged out and I also replaced the VB to see if that was the cause! So here I am 50 60 mph and give it more than 50% pedal and it downshifts revs to hell and then upshifts so annoying! All pressures are perfect! I even have good Gov pressure when it happens! So I'm at a loss any input from the tranny gods is welcome!
Can a smarty do this or a bad TCM?

sootie 06-14-2018 08:28 AM

why not remove any tuning thats in the truck and take it for a drive???

YOUNG GUNS15 06-14-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerous06 (Post 2671597)
Dave and I have this thing all gauged out and I also replaced the VB to see if that was the cause! So here I am 50 60 mph and give it more than 50% pedal and it downshifts revs to hell and then upshifts so annoying! All pressures are perfect! I even have good Gov pressure when it happens! So I'm at a loss any input from the tranny gods is welcome!

Can a smarty do this or a bad TCM?

I had this exact issue with a trans I built a few months back. Look at my first post, do that and it’ll fix it. I can’t take credit for this, I called up power driven and talked to Dustin and Will.

dangerous06 06-16-2018 10:27 AM

That's one of the things we discussed! As of right now I'm losing Gov pressure when I let off the pedal this in turn makes the trans downshift and when I give it pedal it revs up then gov pressure comes back and it up shifts. Now I have to figure out why the Computer is telling Gov pressure to drop when I let off the pedal? ANYBODY?!

fatgraderman 06-17-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerous06 (Post 2671848)
That's one of the things we discussed! As of right now I'm losing Gov pressure when I let off the pedal this in turn makes the trans downshift and when I give it pedal it revs up then gov pressure comes back and it up shifts. Now I have to figure out why the Computer is telling Gov pressure to drop when I let off the pedal? ANYBODY?!

I know almost nothing about transmissions, but could an internal leak in the governer circuit cause this? Is it possible the surface of the transmission or VB was’t perfectly true? I don’t remember if D is electronically engaged. OD and torque converter are, so maybe there’s something going on with wiring or TPS in the pedal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dangerous06 06-19-2018 11:55 PM

UPDATE: Well I took the Smarty off and BAM works perfect! How the hell would a Smarty S06 Do this to the trans?? It was forcing a 4 to 2 down shift.

Mark Nixon 06-20-2018 10:12 AM

It's a "SMARTY", they do dumb things. :D
Go find an EFILive and try it.

Mark.

dangerous06 06-25-2018 09:35 PM

Damn still have a 3-4 flare 4 to O.D. is fine. Anybody?? A tranny master said I may have put the one way roller bearing in backwards can I get a second opinion But gonna drop the O.D. housing and check it if nobody chimes in!

Red Sleeper 06-26-2018 07:58 AM

If you install the directional sprag in the wrong way, you will know very quickly when shifting 3-4 and converter unlocked. It sounds terrible for a very short amount of time. Very noticeable something is wrong.

1-2-3 shifts will be fine.

zfaylor 06-26-2018 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dangerous06 (Post 2672765)
Damn still have a 3-4 flare 4 to O.D. is fine. Anybody?? A tranny master said I may have put the one way roller bearing in backwards can I get a second opinion But gonna drop the O.D. housing and check it if nobody chimes in!

4-OD doesnt exist. That is lockup. It is having trouble getting into overdrive in a timely manner. Sure the spacer that goes on the back of the OD apply piston isn't missing? What spec did you put that at if it is in there?

cummins02 06-26-2018 05:17 PM

Sounds like the roller is in upside down, how many rpm does it jump before it grabs OD. Like said above OD spacer could be wrong or missing also.

cummins02 06-26-2018 05:30 PM

Also if the OD spacer is missing or to thin it will cut OD piston seal, so if you still have OD it's most likely a upside down roller.

dangerous06 06-28-2018 10:03 PM

Well the spacer was there I always set it up with a 1/8 drill bit on the od clutch pack. It turned out the one way rollers were rolling in both directions! Seems I did something wrong there but not sure what! The plastic retainer had a couple squish marks on it is all I could find when I turned the roller by themselves it locked properly but when I dropped the planet gear set in it would rotate in both directions. I replaced that assembly and it works perfectly! FINALLY GOT IT AFTER A WEEK OF AGONY!

Red Sleeper 06-29-2018 05:32 AM

I can’t believe you didn’t see more damage from this. When I made the same mistake and it was plain as day.m what had happened. Several junk parts.

However, glad you found the issue.