To Hydroboost or not

biggy238

One of the things I've been back and forth about on my engine swap is whether or not to try and swap my vacuum brake booster to Hydroboost at the time of the Cummins install.
Today I stumbles across the factory add-on vacuum pump by jacobs/cummins. I can do that setup for about $300.

To swap to Hydro will require the booster, master cylinder, appropriate lines, and may require some fabrication. Toss in an electric vacuum pump for the climate and I'm ballparking $500.

So what say you? Is it worth the hassle to convert the system?

2010 F250 with 5.4 engine for anyone that hasn't seen the other thread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

hydroboost will too. thats what the accumulator is for. I put hydroboost on everything. works great.

How how about driving characteristics and longevity of parts between the two.
It looks like the vac pumps lay down after about 150k miles.
I have no idea how the two systems feel in these trucks in terms of firmness.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Thank you. If I go Hydro, I'll be buying all of the parts but the reservoir and steering box since none of what I have now is compatible.

I'm still running a stock 94 cummins pump on mine with hydroboost. works just fine. I did swap the tin out to have a dual return but its not necessary. you can also t them. done it both ways.

I'd leave it vacuum and get a second gen Dodge vacuum pump, to put hydro on you'll need to change the pedal assembly or rework existing one. I took the hydro boost out of my truck and put vac in and to do so I had to open up one hole on the pedals and firewall.

Check with Red Head or Blue Top steering gears. I know Red Head can do a quick ratio steering gear for the Dodge's. I'm sure they build gears for the Ford's.

I elected to go vacuum pump. Pictures will follow. My reason is this: I'm going to be reworking so many things on the vehicle already, and the swap will be somewhat time sensitive. The other reasoning is that if I ever make to explode the vac pump, I will change over to Hydroboost at that point.

My main concern about the vac pump is whether it can survive 5krpm or not.

I run vac brakes on my drag truck, I shift at around 4300 but has seen 5k more than a couple times with no issues. Same vac pump for the last 6yrs.

I run vac brakes on my drag truck, I shift at around 4300 but has seen 5k more than a couple times with no issues. Same vac pump for the last 6yrs.
On a belt driven Diaphragm vacuum pump?

Back