Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   94-98 2nd Gen. 12V (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   What good tie rod/drag link setups are out there? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205865)

Muddin_dude06 08-02-2021 10:24 PM

What good tie rod/drag link setups are out there?

I’m about 95% done replacing most of my front end suspension, I put in 3” lift springs, shocks, a Thuren track bar and built some long arms. Currently I have the ‘99HD steering setup on my truck but it seems like it is pretty close to bind since the lift and it was some cheap kit of eBay I bought a decade ago. What are the best options out there for steering upgrades on these trucks that’ll work for me? Is bump steer really that bad on the crossover kits? BK fab has a kit that looks pretty nice, is the Synergy kit worth it? Or is the best option going to the ‘09 T steering kit, I believe part #52122362AH. If the ‘09 steering is the best option what has to be done to make it fit the older 2nd gens? I’ve heard mixed reports of what it takes. Definitely appreciate the help y’all.

jasonc 08-03-2021 06:18 AM

I had the Synergy setup, it was expensive but very high quality.
Was a noticeable upgrade over the already upgraded crossover factory steering. I don't think you'd be able to find anything more heavy duty than their setup, the tie rod ends are massive compared to stock.

Muddin_dude06 08-03-2021 11:51 AM

That’s good to hear, I really wish it wasn’t such an expensive setup though.

Muddin_dude06 08-03-2021 06:05 PM

I really would prefer to buy something that will require minimal or no fab work, but has anyone built a setup for one of these trucks with the GM 1 ton crossover kits like this?
RuffStuff Specialties: Y Link Steering using GM 1 Ton TRE

It appears the GM and 94-99 rams share the 7° taper angle

Got Smoke? 08-07-2021 08:57 AM

Curious to hear what you find. I'm going to go through the steering on my 97 this winter hopefully its become a certified garage/trailer queen I want to get it drivable again.

Muddin_dude06 08-09-2021 06:39 PM

Well from what I can find, the Synergy is the only bolt in option and that setup is on a 5-7 week back order. Then the ‘09+ setup will need the knuckles reamed and the tie rod shortened.

MegaTT 08-15-2021 03:24 PM

Far from stock makes a kit I do believe.
That Howling member I think his name is did a 3" Thuren on his 97, hope he chimes in

Muddin_dude06 09-21-2021 10:16 PM

Well I ordered a Synergy setup and it arrived today, hopefully tomorrow or this weekend I will be able to get it installed.

bateman 09-21-2021 10:28 PM

The 4th gen just has to be shortened on each end I believe. I have a thread saved I can dig up if you want. I had planned on going to it but my 99hd upgrade just won’t die.

bateman 09-21-2021 10:29 PM

Well crap I just noticed the last post.

Let us know if it seems to be worth the price.

Muddin_dude06 09-22-2021 12:31 PM

I’ll try to take a couple pictures and I’ll definitely report back, I’ve been driving the truck occasionally to work so I’ll definitely be able to give feedback if it drives noticeably better afterwards.

According to the replacement tie rod ends for all of synergy’s kits the 94-99 use a 1:8 taper (7.125°) at the knuckles and the 00-13 use a 1:6 taper (9.5°) at the knuckles. So the 4th gen upgrade kit would need the knuckles reamed too it looks like.

bateman 09-22-2021 04:15 PM

That’s right I had forgot about the knuckles needing reamed.

I was most interested in the 4th gen setup due to the drag link mounting on top of the tie rod which I figure has to reduce tie rod roll.

Jeep people use a Delrin bushing cut down to go between the drag link and tie rod. It’s called “the cure”. I may see if it’s possible on the dodge setup. Going to look at the Synergy now too and check out it’s geometry.

bateman 09-22-2021 04:18 PM

Looks like the Sunergy is setup like the 4th gen and has wobble stopper boots too. But shit fire $800 is wild.

Muddin_dude06 09-22-2021 07:16 PM

Lol that’s what I said when I went to order it. Luckily I got a 10% discount and free shipping. But still more than I wanted to spend. Yeah I wanted to try those “cure” pieces but I made something similar from some left over energy suspension bushings, the 99hd heavy duty steering on my truck had a ton of tie rod roll, it was really annoying

bateman 09-22-2021 07:27 PM

Same here with the roll.

What’s up with the bend in front of the diff? Never seen anything like that.

jasonc 09-22-2021 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bateman (Post 2746885)
Looks like the Sunergy is setup like the 4th gen and has wobble stopper boots too. But shit fire $800 is wild.

The synergy setup was the best drive ability up grade I ever made to my old daily driver 2nd gen.

First did the BD diesel third gen track bar, then the heavy duty crossover steering gear, then a steering box, and of course a frame brace deal.

All that was minimal upgrades, still wandered like a 2nd gen, the synergy kit made the biggest improvement on mine.

It went from typical 2nd gen steering and wander, to a half worn out 3rd gen truck steering, which is a hell of an upgrade.

Muddin_dude06 09-27-2021 12:45 PM

Well I got it installed over the weekend, along with some cam bolt elimination washers from Dodge Offroad.

Install was easy, I did have to install my TRE on the passenger side of the drag link at max distance to get enough adjustment on the drag link to center the steering wheel. But honestly after only changing the steering I took it for a spin and it seemed to drive almost exactly the same as it was before. I came home and gave it a driveway alignment job, my toe was a little out and I gave it more caster. Now it seems to be driving much better.

I can definitely say the components are definitely stronger than the 99HD setup I had. Not that it’s a scientific approach or anything but while laying under the front end I could grab the 99HD tie rod and get it to flex up and down pretty easily. The Synergy had no flex in it at all. The TRE’s are also much bigger than the ones on the 99HD setup too so that’s also nice.

jasonc 09-27-2021 04:15 PM

Whats your caster camber set at?

Muddin_dude06 09-27-2021 08:10 PM

It’s set around 4° now

Muddin_dude06 09-28-2021 02:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bateman (Post 2746889)
Same here with the roll.

What’s up with the bend in front of the diff? Never seen anything like that.

The bend by the front diff is for extra clearance to the pitman arm. Kinda surprising but I guess someone out there had some contact.

These are pictures of the little wobble stoppers I made, seemed to work pretty decent. Obviously didn’t hold grease in worth a hoot though.