Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   NHRDA (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=68)
-   -   Nhrda folding the tent in 2019? (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201397)

Subman631 11-02-2018 12:47 PM

Nhrda folding the tent in 2019?

There is a thread over on the Duramaxdiesels forum that says Randy isn't going to continue with NHRDA events in 2019. Does anyone know anything about this if it's true or not?

SPEEDSHIFT 11-02-2018 03:03 PM

I havent heard a thing... that would suck though.

SPEEDSHIFT 11-02-2018 03:09 PM

Just talked to them on the phone... its true. No more NHRDA.

Yotadzl 11-02-2018 03:39 PM

Did they say what the plan is moving forward? Just integrating diesels into existing classes or what? Really disappointed to hear this.

SPEEDSHIFT 11-02-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yotadzl (Post 2684524)
Did they say what the plan is moving forward? Just integrating diesels into existing classes or what? Really disappointed to hear this.

There is no plan, just find another racing org I guess. This will be a good opportunity for some of the smaller guys to step up and have some individual events, maybe incorporate the ODSS.

RacinDuallie 11-02-2018 08:53 PM

Wow.

Michael 11-03-2018 09:45 AM

I got a response straight from Randy that "there won't be a 2019 season". He didn't elaborate, but I am hoping that maybe someone else can take it over and restart it? From mutual friends it sounds like he just can't take the time away from his main business any more. Really bummed about this, I had been running NHRDA events since the 1st season.

YOUNG GUNS15 11-03-2018 10:39 AM

Honesty.... this will just force the fast diesel pickups to run with the gassers. Only difference will be a better organized event and better track prep, so win win. The fastest already race ODSS (which was probably the demise of the NHDRA anyways)

I liked the NHRDA, awesome events out in Arizona in the spring time. Unfortunate but it’s probably going to help the sport grow more than it will hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dmigz57 11-04-2018 08:52 PM

There is a video up on the NHRDA FB page that pretty much explains everything. Sounds like a lack of sponsorship and decreasing number of competitors over the years, plus he mentioned he lost a big help for his personal business which allowed him to spend so much time on the road over the years. Sad to see it go, but with so many events going on over the same period of time you can’t always expect a big turnout and the support all the time. Best of luck to Randy and his family.

Michael 11-05-2018 09:40 AM

The biggest issue (as explained in the video) was that JJ is leaving to operate his own track. After Randy's manager left his main business he planned to have JJ and his wife take over more of NHRDA responsibilities, but now with JJ abruptly leaving it was not feasible. I suspect I know who the other owner of the track is with JJ (he had told me about it but not his partner, and I was sworn to secrecy until it was announced), but I never realized it would be the final straw on the NHRDA's back. Still in shock about this, it will leave a big hole in the diesel motorsports world, especially in the Western US and Canada.

Subman631 11-05-2018 11:57 AM

Well given that Jay is leaving Woodburn and headed to the same track I'm assuming that is what you were sworn to secrecy about. National Trails is a big complex, I wonder who all is involved besides Jay and JJ,

khaoskustoms 11-05-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YOUNG GUNS15 (Post 2684567)
Unfortunate but it’s probably going to help the sport grow more than it will hurt.

I don't understand how loosing a racing org can help the sport grow? We no longer have any diesel specific sanctioned events in canada now or on the west coast.

Michael 11-05-2018 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subman631 (Post 2684707)
Well given that Jay is leaving Woodburn and headed to the same track I'm assuming that is what you were sworn to secrecy about. National Trails is a big complex, I wonder who all is involved besides Jay and JJ,

Apparently Jay and JJ are buying a portion of it, and the existing owner (Chris Payne dba Shelby LLC) is retaining a portion. I only knew it was a big name place in Ohio.

Quote:

Originally Posted by khaoskustoms (Post 2684715)
I don't understand how loosing a racing org can help the sport grow? We no longer have any diesel specific sanctioned events in canada now or on the west coast.

I agree, this hurts us. We have always had the option to run at NHRA events, but running diesel-only events made for a more concentrated audience that was important to diesel industry sponsors.

Justappumped24v 11-05-2018 05:08 PM

I’m leaving California soon, but I enjoyed matching up with gassers more than Diesels, forced me to adjust my driving, and staging. Other than Phoenix and Texas most events were awful turn outs. I raced more with gassers than Diesels and in the grand scheme of things I had more fun with gassers.

RascalMafia 11-05-2018 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael (Post 2684732)

Nice to see you're still around here!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

andy2 11-05-2018 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RascalMafia (Post 2684772)

Same here Michael ! I remember meeting you at the Edmonton NHRDA in 2009 I believe,Good times.

Subman631 11-06-2018 03:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justappumped24v (Post 2684741)
I’m leaving California soon, but I enjoyed matching up with gassers more than Diesels, forced me to adjust my driving, and staging. Other than Phoenix and Texas most events were awful turn outs. I raced more with gassers than Diesels and in the grand scheme of things I had more fun with gassers.

One thing that always amazed me was when you run a diesel in a gas event, the crowd is always cheering for the diesel. But in a diesel only event you can hardly get anyone in the stands.

SPEEDSHIFT 11-06-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subman631 (Post 2684777)
One thing that always amazed me was when you run a diesel in a gas event, the crowd is always cheering for the diesel. But in a diesel only event you can hardly get anyone in the stands.

Agreed, at our local events we are some of the crowd favorites. Everybody loves a good sleeper, thats really what started diesel motorsports, being a great sleeper vehicle.

Michael 11-06-2018 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RascalMafia (Post 2684772)

Thanks! I admit I spend more time in Facebook groups these days, but I prefer the forum functionality over FB.

Quote:

Originally Posted by andy2 (Post 2684774)
Same here Michael ! I remember meeting you at the Edmonton NHRDA in 2009 I believe,Good times.

Thanks! Those were some fun races!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subman631 (Post 2684777)

At UCC last year the stands were packed, despite it not being a very spectator-friendly format. From photos it looks like the UCC qualifier series and the ODSS races have had pretty good turnout. We just need something in the West!