Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Titans XD Cummins 5.0L (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=336)
-   -   Decent Truck so far (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192569)

Soup Nazi 09-02-2016 12:53 PM

Decent Truck so far

We got an XD in May. So far, so good. 8K miles.

Couple of things that bug me:

The hood shakes on bumps. Seems cheesy.

The center console at times between 11am and 1pm can blind you from sun reflection.

Small Urea tank. I have filled it 5 times already in 8k miles. PIA

The stock power level is pretty weak for 300/555

The steering is a slow ratio! Boo

It went though a weird phase where it took a long time to start (long cranking times) That has gone away now though.

Poor city fuel economy!

Smallish fuel tank.

Good things:

It tows awesome. Moderate loads anyway

Well built heavy frame. Built in gooseneck hitch. Good ride.
Nice paint quality. Overall good quality build. Better than many offerings I looked at.

Good hwy economy.

56cummins 09-02-2016 01:33 PM

Roughly what are the numbers on the economy?

Soup Nazi 09-02-2016 02:00 PM

The average best is 13.8. Overall city and hwy. Mostly hwy driving.

Hwy can go as high as 19, but just a little city will knock that down fast.

chevota84 09-02-2016 05:13 PM

The only other one I've heard about was getting 10.8 average, heavy on the town driving.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

homewrecker 09-02-2016 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soup Nazi (Post 2573928)
The average best is 13.8. Overall city and hwy. Mostly hwy driving.

Hwy can go as high as 19, but just a little city will knock that down fast.

That really stinks! My 16 Dodge 4500 cab n chassis is comparable to that for overall average. Nowhere close on that for hwy mileage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RockinRam96 10-04-2016 11:48 AM

Geese, I would expect a bit better mileage out of that motor.

I regularly got high 19s sometimes 20 mpg out of my 12 valve, ECLB, 4x4 with about 80% highway. We get low 13s out of my dads 05 QCLB, 2wd pulling a trailer on the highway.

But they're probably like the rest of them, get rid of the emissions and a conservative tune in them and mileage will increase drastically.

zfaylor 10-04-2016 11:50 AM

What in the heck is the point of them if they get such crap mileage?

bleedcummins 10-08-2016 11:04 PM

^^^ that's been my argument all along. On the cummins side of things, they built an engine that tows less than what's already on the market, less power, lesser powerband, poor fuel economy and has a life expectancy of only 200k(might be 250k, can't remember exactly). In no area does it out perform or outshine the 6.7, other than its very quick revving. Nissan built one heck of a truck to put it in. Cudo's to them! BUT..... they priced them so freaking high that no one in my area is buying them. You can buy a 1500 dodge, ford or gm and get better fuel mileage for cheaper. You can spend the same money and get a full size truck that has more power, a reputation, longer life, and better towing capability.
I have been to class on the 5.0isv, I'm certified to work on them, I want to see them succeed and they have some very cool technology new to cummins that I can't wait to see incorporated on other engine from cummins, but they missed the boat with the mileage especially. And nissan, price your truck to sell!
Rant over

Ryan Tucker 11-06-2016 07:48 AM

I went and drove one, was not impressed. And it was priced at like 65k.....
Wow

DieselWrencher 11-09-2016 02:28 PM

A guy I work with just got one. He got it at a KC dealer for $47k. He said he loves it other than the front grill area. He said his is getting 19mpg but he's only driven it on the highway so far. He just got it Tuesday night, and his drive to work is about 180 miles. He did say that the night after he got home with it, the low def light came on. He added a gallon and it went out. I thought that was odd. It must guess the level like a sprinter.....

CorneliusRox 11-09-2016 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselWrencher (Post 2584570)
A guy I work with just got one. He got it at a KC dealer for $47k. He said he loves it other than the front grill area. He said his is getting 19mpg but he's only driven it on the highway so far. He just got it Tuesday night, and his drive to work is about 180 miles. He did say that the night after he got home with it, the low def light came on. He added a gallon and it went out. I thought that was odd. It must guess the level like a sprinter.....

Well, even when buying a brand new car, they don't fill the gas tank for you anymore. I'm assuming it's the same with a DEF tank too.

It pisses me off every single time I buy a new car and have to stop at the gas station almost immediately afterwards...

bnorton00 12-28-2016 04:42 PM

I was skeptical about the V8, and a test drive confirmed my suspicions. The motor was lackluster, the fuel tank is tiny, and Cummins didn't make tinkering very easy. It's a shame.

zstroken 12-28-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CorneliusRox (Post 2584578)
Well, even when buying a brand new car, they don't fill the gas tank for you anymore. I'm assuming it's the same with a DEF tank too.

It pisses me off every single time I buy a new car and have to stop at the gas station almost immediately afterwards...

Our Honda Odyssey came with a full tank of fuel...

Chris Tobin 12-28-2016 05:08 PM

My review of the Titan XD Diesel is in the newest issue of Ultimate Diesel Builder's Guide magazine. For what it is and in a world of its own it is a pretty good truck, but when comparing it to other trucks for similar $$$ it falls a little short.

I couldn't afford one, that's for sure!

If you don't need quite as much room the Colorado diesel is a good alternative...

thunder03 12-29-2016 08:08 AM

I've got a question for the guys that own one. My brother in law just bought a new Titan and it seems to vibrate pretty decent when she's warmed up. He told me to hold my coffee because if I put it down it could splash out. It doesn't do it all the time. More so when the heat is on defrost and I'm assuming when the AC clutch kicks in.
Ive never owned a new truck but even my clapped out work truck doesn't vibrate that bad. It just seems really odd to me.

Chris Tobin 12-29-2016 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thunder03 (Post 2592651)
I've got a question for the guys that own one. My brother in law just bought a new Titan and it seems to vibrate pretty decent when she's warmed up. He told me to hold my coffee because if I put it down it could splash out. It doesn't do it all the time. More so when the heat is on defrost and I'm assuming when the AC clutch kicks in.
Ive never owned a new truck but even my clapped out work truck doesn't vibrate that bad. It just seems really odd to me.

I don't remember the test one that we had for a week ever vibrating that bad at all. I'd say your brother-in-law should take it back to the dealer and have it looked at...

thunder03 12-29-2016 11:53 AM

That's kind of what I figured too. I'll talk to him Tonight at work and see about getting it looked at. Thanks

cumminz90 01-01-2017 09:28 AM

I used to work at the Nissan dealer but left shortly after we had our first couple show up. We had one snap the bolts of off the a/c compressor and that sounds like what you have going on if definitely have him take it in. I don't remember what they did to remedy that particular truck. Also when I was sent to the titan school a few things that I didn't like about the motor that I see being problems is it's four head bolt per cylinder engine like a 6.0 liter and it's has 4 timing chains that I just don't see holding up for the long haul. Also very time consuming to do a lot of the services when having to repair the engine which is not very economical for the consumer over the long haul.

thunder03 01-01-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cumminz90 (Post 2593122)
I used to work at the Nissan dealer but left shortly after we had our first couple show up. We had one snap the bolts of off the a/c compressor and that sounds like what you have going on if definitely have him take it in. I don't remember what they did to remedy that particular truck. Also when I was sent to the titan school a few things that I didn't like about the motor that I see being problems is it's four head bolt per cylinder engine like a 6.0 liter and it's has 4 timing chains that I just don't see holding up for the long haul. Also very time consuming to do a lot of the services when having to repair the engine which is not very economical for the consumer over the long haul.

I just found out that's exactly what happened. The AC compressor bolts had worked themselves lose and one was broke clean off. The sad part is the truck just clicked off 7k miles.

cumminz90 01-01-2017 06:37 PM

Sounds just like the one we had it wasn't even two weeks old when it broke off hopefully they get the issue resolved for him.