Is a 700 hp 7.3 possible?

yjay

Started working with a guy yesterday and I noticed he drove up in a nice modded Ford diesel. So of course I asked him what had been done to it. He said it has a $8,000 Suncoast trans, 98mm turbo, DPS5, and $15k in the engine. Tows a 45' fifth wheel with it. And claimed 700hp. Is this even possible? My short research says probably not.

Last edited:
700hp, yes it's possible in a 7.3. Guarantee his isn't one. Towing with a 98mm turbo, yeah have fun with that

He did say something about EFI. Don't know a lot about Fords but sounded off to me. He did seem to add some legitimacy to his tale by saying everyone with a 1st gen 12 valve that has a fuel pin claims to have 500 horsepowers :)

Last edited:
Guy around here has been telling people he has a 900hp 6.0. "It used to be 700 but I did some things, should be 900 now" lol. I don't even say anything any more, just nod and smile.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I just ran into this guy's brother. Told me he had a 1st gen dodge that was pushing 750hp 'at the wheelz'. I decided to play along and asked what he had done. He said aftermarket pump (couldn't remember which one though) and a turbo out of a newer dodge. Then I walked away.

I just ran into this guy's brother. Told me he had a 1st gen dodge that was pushing 750hp 'at the wheelz'. I decided to play along and asked what he had done. He said aftermarket pump (couldn't remember which one though) and a turbo out of a newer dodge. Then I walked away.

Hey I drive a 12v excursion and my turbo is out of a newer dodge. You mean I don't have 750hp? I'm taking it back to the guy the built it. This is BS

Guy around here has been telling people he has a 900hp 6.0. "It used to be 700 but I did some things, should be 900 now" lol. I don't even say anything any more, just nod and smile.

I enjoy encouraging this oraler mentality sometimes just to see how deep the sh!t gets.

Something like this?

grfbg_zpsjdpyvdpn.jpg

Hahaha, my buddy had 8000 in injectors and turbo alone and maybe was 450-500ish, and had another 4000 in hpops etc.. I honestly don't like the 7.3, I think it's a decent horse trailer tower but a slow lazy one at that. I'll never buy one. Every time a guy says ohh I have a 7.3 best motor ever made, I walk away laughing haha.

Rant over

Hahaha, my buddy had 8000 in injectors and turbo alone and maybe was 450-500ish, and had another 4000 in hpops etc.. I honestly don't like the 7.3, I think it's a decent horse trailer tower but a slow lazy one at that. I'll never buy one. Every time a guy says ohh I have a 7.3 best motor ever made, I walk away laughing haha.

Rant over

You buddy was cheated if he has that much into those parts. And I mean BIG time cheated. You can buy injectors for the 7.3L that can support 800 RWHP for under three grand. that leaves 5 grand for the turbo. again you can do get a turbo that can support that kind of power for under that with the aftermarket mounts easy. as for as HPOP.... 2400.00 get you the billet stealth HPOP. It will support said injectors above.

I think your buddy is a lot of talk. :Wink: Its easy to get over 600 and even 700 out of a 7.3. Just need to know what you are doing.

If you can tell. I like the 7.3L a Lot. Horse power for Horse power. they are the best.

You buddy was cheated if he has that much into those parts. And I mean BIG time cheated. You can buy injectors for the 7.3L that can support 800 RWHP for under three grand. that leaves 5 grand for the turbo. again you can do get a turbo that can support that kind of power for under that with the aftermarket mounts easy. as for as HPOP.... 2400.00 get you the billet stealth HPOP. It will support said injectors above.

I think your buddy is a lot of talk. :Wink: Its easy to get over 600 and even 700 out of a 7.3. Just need to know what you are doing.

If you can tell. I like the 7.3L a Lot. Horse power for Horse power. they are the best.

So you are saying there's a chance?
Son of a ..... I just realized realized I made a typo in the title of this thread.

Last edited:

Don't forget to factor in labor. He couldn't do it himself.

The way I see it different strokes for different folks. I know I have never been impressed by a 7.3, and I'll never own one. But that's just me. I'm a simple man and like to see more power per dollar.

But I do love fords, and my dream truck just would be a 6.4 ccsb. With rear captain chairs

I've never got the whole "7.3 is the best engine ever". Every one I've been around got terrible mileage and ate $100 parts frequently.

Back