Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Intelligent Engineering (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   After few months of tweaks and testing (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33430)

Opie 08-02-2008 01:57 PM

After few months of tweaks and testing

1 Attachment(s)
Pic says it all, IE feels all the others have missed the boat thus far.

crewgirl 08-02-2008 02:02 PM

That looks cool as hell.

haloman 08-02-2008 02:38 PM

Nice!!!

UNBROKEN 08-02-2008 02:43 PM

PM info and pricing please, Sir.

AsTroSS 08-02-2008 02:49 PM

What we talking about ?

Is it : twins, coolant kit or polished valvecover and intake?

UNBROKEN 08-02-2008 03:12 PM

coolant bypass.

THEDIESELMAN 08-02-2008 03:33 PM

I would also like some info on that bypass kit.

Opie 08-02-2008 04:01 PM

LOL I should of shaded out the rest of the motor as it is just too distracting. Though I am still trying to get the 12V kit worked out. Price currently is under $500 for the 2nd and 3rd Gen 5.9's I forgot to take a pic of the third gen, when Paul gets home from racing this weekend I will ask him to post a pic of the one on his truck.

Opie 08-02-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsTroSS (Post 421127)
What we talking about ?

Is it : twins, coolant kit or polished valvecover and intake?

I have seen all generations of 5.9's blow freeze plugs. Others have tried their attempts to bypass all water pressure on some trucks. What most people don't realize is for each pound of pressure exerted on the cooling system it raises the boiling point of the coolant by 3 degrees at sea level. This allows the cooling system to operate at a higher temperature before boiling over, increasing the system’s efficiency and reducing emissions. IE also feels the ISB in the Dodge trucks are making more coolant pressure than what is really required. (I seriously doubt the manufacturer designed for 500+hp trucks some of which are turning over 4000 rpm.)

So what is to be gained by running a coolant regulated bypass? On IE's bypass cylinders 5 & 6 run cooler as does the engine at all rpms.

There is the benefit about not blowing freeze plugs do to lowering/regulating coolant pressure. There is the benefit about the freeing up hp not required to make higher pressure. How much hp depends on rpm but unlike claims like that of hp/milage from things like after market airhorns this one is tangible.

Some will push for running an electric water pump, pretty but this bypass reg honestly beats it hands down. Longevity and reliability for all trucks both competitive and daily drivers will be better off.

farmboysdiesel 08-02-2008 04:26 PM

Nice looking setup. :Cheer:

nate 08-02-2008 05:21 PM

Opie, how does this work different than the $100 Cummins setup that ties into the heater hose?

Wondering cause I just installed that a couple weeks ago.

Opie 08-02-2008 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 421195)
Opie, how does this work different than the $100 Cummins setup that ties into the heater hose?

Wondering cause I just installed that a couple weeks ago.

Nate,
I haven't seen their kit in person. The pic I saw of it shows its supply replacing a freeze plug in the back of the block then feeding a heater return hose. If that is how it is here goes... The plug in the back of the block would be fine for a source of lowering coolant pressure. But as for heat? If you look behind that freeze plug it goes to the biggest coolant area of the block. I refer to it as the bath area as all the OD of the cylinders are basically in the same tub of coolant. So basically that system is looping the coolant around cylinder walls bypassing radiator and doing little to cool the two heat problem cylinders. On a 2nd gen #6 has a history of being the hottest cylinder on the 3rd gen it looks like #5 from what I gather todate. Also as pointed out above you really need to have the correct amount of pressure for the boiling point issue.

IE’s is a simple install off of what measured to be the hottest water jacket. (The return one common to cylinder’s 5 and 6.) Then it is routed to a rather large stainless steel regulator then goes to the radiator coolant return hose. Basically All JIC 12 fittings with ¾” hose all done on the top of the engine. Easy Peasey...

nate 08-02-2008 07:58 PM

Yes you knock out the big freeze plug on the back of the block and than a plate is bolted over that. The plate has a fitting that you connect into the return heater hose.
Seems like a good idea, but for whatever reason, it's not very popular, so not sure??

Opie 08-02-2008 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nate (Post 421260)
Yes you knock out the big freeze plug on the back of the block and than a plate is bolted over that. The plate has a fitting that you connect into the return heater hose.
Seems like a good idea, but for whatever reason, it's not very popular, so not sure??

Not all systems can be popular. lol If you are concerned remove the small coolant plug above #2 and hook up a pressure guage to it and monitor it as you drive around. The system shown in the pic was designed with a few benefits in mind and it has already found a great market with the third gens via word of mouth.

WUnderwood 08-02-2008 08:54 PM

clean your engine Opie!

Howling 08-03-2008 06:42 PM

Is this easily done with the trans still in?

Looks like a well thought out kit.

Nice job.

Opie 08-03-2008 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Howling (Post 421746)
Is this easily done with the trans still in?

Looks like a well thought out kit.

Nice job.

Yes Sir, what you see is what you get. It is all done on the top of the engine.

farmboysdiesel 08-04-2008 06:50 AM

Have you figured up an exact final price??

lmills 08-04-2008 07:07 AM

looks pretty slick. I was considering doing something similar and dumping it into our upper radiator pipe for the dual pump kit. With a kit like this though it would get me away from having to keep different radiator pipes in stock. Any idea of the price?

crewgirl 08-04-2008 09:58 AM

If my truck ever makes big hp, I think I'm gonna get one of these.