Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Intelligent Engineering (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=151)
-   -   question about the by pass (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58181)

triton 06-04-2009 07:54 AM

question about the by pass

I mostly drag race and haven't seen this issue doing that but, the few times I've hooked to a sled..... my water temp gauges gets buried ! Since I have my rear freeze plugs blocked, I assume that's why I haven't blown them with the water temp doing what it does.

My question is.... are the extreme temps a result of extreme water temp psi ? and is the by pass the fix for the extreme temps

triton 06-04-2009 03:57 PM

whistling the tune to Jeopardy over here :aiwebs_013:

RILES 06-04-2009 04:10 PM

you got a purdy mouth when you whistle :poke:

triton 06-04-2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RILES (Post 739780)
you got a purdy mouth when you whistle :poke:

sorry sir but, I don't go that way. You'll have to flirt else where.

paulb 06-04-2009 05:54 PM

Well until someone smarter then me can actually answer your questions, I can tell you what happens on my truck. Before putting Opies bypass on my 05, I would get about a 30* water temp rise after a low 11 second pass. After putting the bypass on, the temp gauge never moves. I don't sled pull, so I can't give you any feed back there. 30* water temp may not sound like much, but having the water that cools the oil, 30* cooler is a pretty good benefit.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Paul

triton 06-04-2009 06:00 PM

thanks Paul. I don't really have much of a problem with temp while racing. It's only if a hook to a sled. I don't do it often but, the last few times I have...I bury the temp gauge. Of course electronics are set to kick a$$ but, sledding is the only time I see it happen.

Opie 06-09-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triton (Post 739861)
thanks Paul. I don't really have much of a problem with temp while racing. It's only if a hook to a sled. I don't do it often but, the last few times I have...I bury the temp gauge. Of course electronics are set to kick a$$ but, sledding is the only time I see it happen.

You are stating that it doesn't happen any other time except when sled pulling, and you are basically stating your electronics are set to kick azz on the street it doesn't happen until the sled is hooked up.

So I take it this doesn't happen when pulling a trailor up a steep grade. I would recommend that you check your water pump pressure and make sure the clutch fan is working correctly.

triton 06-09-2009 04:39 PM

I don't tow anything with it and when I stated any other time I was meaning while drag racing. I understand there's a lot more air flow dragging but, it was burying the gauge to quick and easy when hooked to a sled.

I think I have it under control now. I'll have to do a few more pulls before I'm sure. See this thread.....

thanks for the info though. One day I still may need or just want the by pass :-)

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/for...ad.php?t=58432

Opie 06-11-2009 01:03 AM

Yep that would do it as well. I always try to avoid getting into online problem solving on such things as there are always several variables that don't get mentioned and it takes too much time to get them all out.

triton 06-11-2009 06:56 AM

well thank for getting back to me anyway. I figured I was going to need a by pass anyway and was surprised what I did helped. I don't have a lot of time with this new set up so I've yet to see if the problem is completely solved. I didn't understand why my temp was burying and thought you could help shed some light.