Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Introductions. (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   From the wind swept prairie (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201207)

slowburner 10-03-2018 03:21 PM

From the wind swept prairie

Supposed to say hello, so i'll say hello.

Long time Mercedes and GM diesel owner/wrench. 6.2 and OM617 experience.

Still got several of each. After all, i ain't got the $$$$ to get any of these sweet rigs of today.

Everything else i do and say probably stands as irrelevant in the diesel world.

Aerospace Engineer. Okay, if you wanna talk physics, loads, systems, fatigue, turbines, and yes, dealing in Federal Court with the government, then okay.

Pilot. I'd kinda like to do some pioneering work in compressive ignition aircraft engines. I gotta 4 cyl Mercedes out of a Ssangyong Actyon that might work. Trouble is, i don't have the ignition key, column lock, and OBD port to activate the ECU, so it ain't gonna run.

Oh, and I got a Detroit Diesel 6-71 in my motor home. Thinking about updating that old iron. Yes, it sounds cool, but i'm up at the front so i don't get to enjoy any sound except the filling of the 150gal tank. If i could find the right engine to go in there, I'd make that a project.

Anyway, been looking at the pages. Looks interesting.

jasonc 10-03-2018 07:26 PM

I grew up driving a 6.2 Chevy, reason I hate them now so much, ha. Welcome

slowburner 10-03-2018 07:42 PM

Thanks for the hello.:snoop:

Now, see?
I never had a lick of trouble with the 3 I've had.

People have told me horror stories of the 6.2 and, like yourself, have sworn off them evermore. Not me. I'm quite satisfied.

Granted, the thing will hardly get out of its own way. Admittedly, i've never towed squat with one.

But just for a Suburban that gets good mileage, it does what it was designed for. It drives and gets good mileage. Lumbering around town; not at all agile. But running in a straight line out on the interstate in middle America? Works fine and dandy. No problems after many, many miles.

Actually, I'd like to drop one into a smaller car just for fun. Like an old Mercedes Wagon :woohoo:

Big Boy Toys 10-03-2018 08:18 PM

Welcome! I'm in the minority as well, have/had many ole 6.2's As you stated not much for power, but mine have been reliable as heck, I'm even a fan of 6.5's! got a few of them too.

4x4dually 10-04-2018 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowburner (Post 2682161)
Aerospace Engineer. Okay, if you wanna talk physics, loads, systems, fatigue, turbines, and yes, dealing in Federal Court with the government, then okay.

Welcome.

And with your back ground, will the plane take off on the treadmill? I just want to make sure you are on the correct side of this forum and not over there <- on the left with all the dummies.

:hehe:

Red Sleeper 10-04-2018 08:33 AM

Welcome to the site from a 6.2 owner. Our farm truck has that gutless engine. 206k on the clock and we have never removed the heads, all stock. Few injection pumps, injectors, and glow plugs. Though the engine is wore the heck out. We have a backup 6.2 on the engine stand, rebuilt and ready for a quick swap if need be.

These engines don't cause trouble due to the extremely low power output.

4x4dually 10-04-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Sleeper (Post 2682210)

Nailed it. ^^^ :hehe: :nail:

slowburner 10-04-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4x4dually (Post 2682205)
Welcome.

And with your back ground, will the plane take off on the treadmill? I just want to make sure you are on the correct side of this forum and not over there <- on the left with all the dummies.

I've been accused of a lotta stuff, but never once have I been accused of being "on the left".

You know... just for the record.....:evil

slowburner 10-04-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Sleeper (Post 2682210)
Welcome to the site from a 6.2 owner. Our farm truck has that gutless engine. ....

Back in the 1970s, the predecessor to the 6.2 was that Oldsmobile diesel.
It ran so quiet, you could hear a piano drop.
But like the 6.2, it was designed for economy. Long easy runs with low fuel burn.

But the unsophisticated masses would say, "Hey, it's a diesel! I'm gonna tow something heavy!". So they'd hook up a 30 foot boat and floor the pedal through the hills. From that, the Olds (and GM diesel in general) got a really bad rep that took many years to overcome. Maybe they haven't yet.

The 6.2 didn't help that rep. Mostly because a lotta folks did the exact same thing. "Oh, they fixed it? Here we GO!".
Every problem i've heard of from a 6.2 has been traced to some form of load abuse.

But hey.. it's what i got. Gotta go with that. At least for now. Could add a turbo, but I'm scared of even doing that for fear it might grenade the thing.:ft:

RascalMafia 10-04-2018 05:20 PM

Welcome to CompD

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jasonc 10-04-2018 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowburner (Post 2682239)
Back in the 1970s, the predecessor to the 6.2 was that Oldsmobile diesel.
It ran so quiet, you could hear a piano drop.
But like the 6.2, it was designed for economy. Long easy runs with low fuel burn.

But the unsophisticated masses would say, "Hey, it's a diesel! I'm gonna tow something heavy!". So they'd hook up a 30 foot boat and floor the pedal through the hills. From that, the Olds (and GM diesel in general) got a really bad rep that took many years to overcome. Maybe they haven't yet.

The 6.2 didn't help that rep. Mostly because a lotta folks did the exact same thing. "Oh, they fixed it? Here we GO!".
Every problem i've heard of from a 6.2 has been traced to some form of load abuse.

But hey.. it's what i got. Gotta go with that. At least for now. Could add a turbo, but I'm scared of even doing that for fear it might grenade the thing.:ft:

My old man had my mom in a Buick or something diesel car back in those days. I still remember having to get up and help mom start her car with ether back in the day. It did get awesome mileage.

12valve95 10-04-2018 09:00 PM

Quote:

Welcome.

I still have this as my signature quote :hehe:

WELCOME!!!

slowburner 10-05-2018 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasonc (Post 2682275)
It did get awesome mileage.

Awesome mileage was IMPORTANT back then!

Gas was nearly SEVENTY FIVE CENTS! Twice what we ever thought it'd be.
End Of The World.

And there was hardly anywhere to get diesel but a truck stop.

mfsuper90 10-07-2018 02:37 PM

I use to love to dabble with my 617. After an hx30 and W/a intercooler, I don’t mess with it anymore, just drive it. I had a 603 at one point, with intentions of going into my w123, but sold it cause I knew I’d never have time to finish it.

Welcome to the forum

slowburner 10-07-2018 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfsuper90 (Post 2682490)
but sold it cause I knew I’d never have time to finish it.

You'd think as old as I am, I'd learn that lesson... but I haven't. :bang
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfsuper90 (Post 2682490)
Welcome to the forum

Hey, thanks.

Highwayman 10-07-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Welcome.

I almost bumped that thread the other day. Just to stir something up.

slowburner 10-08-2018 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Highwayman (Post 2682517)
I almost bumped that thread the other day. Just to stir something up.

C'mon, let me in on that. I'm missing some good stuff.

Airplane on a treadmill? That's a special kind of stupid.

Highwayman 10-08-2018 08:25 AM

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

4x4dually 10-08-2018 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slowburner (Post 2682524)
That's a special kind of stupid.

So it thinking that anything "ground speed" is remotely related to anything "air speed." :hehe:

I'm just here to watch this place burn.

:Cheer:

slowburner 10-08-2018 10:10 AM

Oh, darn.
So that's just another Flat Earth discussion, then?

Some prominent figure just itching to start a fight, it looks like, and just loves the saloon brawl aspect of the whole thing.

Well, to each his own. Looked like someone had fun, anyway.