Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Dodge Competition and Performance (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Suncoast valve body (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198777)

kleann 12-27-2017 06:45 PM

Suncoast valve body

Does anyone have any info on the machined valve body that suncoast had at PRI? I saw one picture of it, but no information.

kxhonda 12-27-2017 07:37 PM

Looked like it had it own controller sitting there beside it.

Poulina 12-27-2017 08:40 PM

It was a whole different concept that uses dump valves and a captured clutch torque converter. Not going to be on the market for a good while.

Redrider2911 12-27-2017 10:38 PM

Been doing a lot of research on the REs and their overpriced valvebodies recently. They’ve already had their valvebody with shift valves for every gear available...

Poulina 12-28-2017 02:01 AM

No, stop ^^

What was showcased at PRI is a completely different concept for anything 47/48 lockup style trans. more along the lines of GM 4L, Allison 1000, fomoco 6R captured clutch style torque converters/valvebodies but instead uses dump valves and suncoast proprietary fairy dust.

Redrider2911 12-28-2017 06:41 AM

I understand the torque converter is different... what’s so different about the valve body that they already offer for 1200 bucks or whatever plus tuner? You keep on saying “dump valves” like they are something special? A standard shift solenoid that these transmissions already use for lockup and OD ARE a dump valve... is there some terminology that i am missing somewhere? The fairy dust comment made me chuckle though. Lol Do they have a link or something with video posted up somewhere? A picture? Anything?

ramthiscummins 12-28-2017 10:46 AM

I saw something on their facebook page with a video of a torque converter for a 47/48re but it was a very short video that didn't mention hardly anything....

DieselheaD 12-28-2017 09:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kleann (Post 2649744)
Does anyone have any info on the machined valve body that suncoast had at PRI? I saw one picture of it, but no information.

I assumed it was a copy of copes billet valvebody.

kxhonda 12-28-2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselheaD (Post 2649890)
I assumed it was a copy of copes billet valvebody.

I was talking to John Cope the other day about his new transbrake valve body, the Suncoast one looks nothing like it. Copes' gets rid of the solenoid for OD and moves it entirely to the manual valve. It's also a FMVB, looks like the Suncoast one is all electronic.

DieselheaD 12-29-2017 12:30 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kxhonda (Post 2649896)
I was talking to John Cope the other day about his new transbrake valve body, the Suncoast one looks nothing like it. Copes' gets rid of the solenoid for OD and moves it entirely to the manual valve. It's also a FMVB, looks like the Suncoast one is all electronic.

I'm well aware of how copes VB operates and why he built it that way. from the outside they look similar and assumed that with both starting from scratch they might be doing the same thing.

97rada 12-29-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselheaD (Post 2649905)
I'm well aware of how copes VB operates and why he built it that way. from the outside they look similar and assumed that with both starting from scratch they might be doing the same thing.

Wish that thing actually worked. I would have one tomorrow. I want a tbrake pretty bad

kleann 12-29-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97rada (Post 2649953)
Wish that thing actually worked. I would have one tomorrow. I want a tbrake pretty bad

What didn't work on it? It definitely looks pretty ghetto.

97rada 12-29-2017 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kleann (Post 2649998)
What didn't work on it? It definitely looks pretty ghetto.

Just needs some work to be at a final product. Had a few problems with fitment. It will get worked out

DieselheaD 12-30-2017 09:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by 97rada (Post 2649999)
Just needs some work to be at a final product. Had a few problems with fitment. It will get worked out

Needed hard lines. currently working in 2 applications that I know of.

Big Blue24 01-02-2018 01:38 AM

Transbrake FMVB's are already available and have been available from one vendor or another for several years. The biggest advantage to the Cope VB is it allows OD to be commanded with a shifter rather than a toggle switch. And it's built on a simplified "billet" body to eliminate some of the factory casting problems. The new OD command with the manual valve works well for guys using shift noids or racers that want to bang the shifter for all shifts including overdrive.

I believe the main concept for the new billet SunCoast VB is to create a race-specific VB that is super reliable, and addresses some of the current issues the big power racers are facing: torque converter control during spoolup, weird pressure drop issues, inconsistent performance as fluid temp/VB temp changes, etc.

The real problem with current FMVB setups using a factory casting is there are over 300 individual parts and pieces in a factory VB with numerous places for fluid bleeds, cross over, sticking valves, etc. With that many moving parts, it's amazing they work as well as they do. Most of the other drag racing specific transmissions have "race-only" simplified "billet" VB's with the minimum amount of moving parts, it's time for the A618 (47re/48re) to get it's own billet VB.

97rada 01-02-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue24 (Post 2650294)
Transbrake FMVB's are already available and have been available from one vendor or another for several years. The biggest advantage to the Cope VB is it allows OD to be commanded with a shifter rather than a toggle switch. And it's built on a simplified "billet" body to eliminate some of the factory casting problems. The new OD command with the manual valve works well for guys using shift noids or racers that want to bang the shifter for all shifts including overdrive.

I believe the main concept for the new billet SunCoast VB is to create a race-specific VB that is super reliable, and addresses some of the current issues the big power racers are facing: torque converter control during spoolup, weird pressure drop issues, inconsistent performance as fluid temp/VB temp changes, etc.

The real problem with current FMVB setups using a factory casting is there are over 300 individual parts and pieces in a factory VB with numerous places for fluid bleeds, cross over, sticking valves, etc. With that many moving parts, it's amazing they work as well as they do. Most of the other drag racing specific transmissions have "race-only" simplified "billet" VB's with the minimum amount of moving parts, it's time for the A618 (47re/48re) to get it's own billet VB.

How many people actually have a t brake that won't wreck an intermediate shaft shortly after letting go of the button. Serious question because I don't see them at any ODSS race

slownoma 01-02-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselheaD (Post 2650081)
Needed hard lines. currently working in 2 applications that I know of.

Maybe the two fellas that are running them will comment?

CRT 01-02-2018 07:29 PM

The fit issues are fixed.

CRT 01-02-2018 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Any questions ?

CRT 01-02-2018 07:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic 2

slownoma 01-02-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRT (Post 2650410)
Pic 2

Any issues with line pressure or holding forward clutches?

CRT 01-02-2018 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This from a customer in Indy

"That is the most consistent pressure on a transmission I have ever seen"

slownoma 01-03-2018 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Blue24 (Post 2650294)

What other vendor's besides cope and suncoast?

CRT 01-03-2018 10:43 AM

there is no other vb like mine on the market anywhere. all gears on the shifter
P NR 1 2 3 4 with automatic or manual lock up. No TCM. No kick down. No governor senors & solenoids. NO delay going into overdrive that you get with shift solenoids.

The trans brake solenoid is from a Power Glide used in racing for over 30 years, you can buy or find anywhere. if failed, you dont have to buy my trans brake solenoid cause it is a universal Power Glide solenoid.

My VB has the most consistent pressure bar non. The VB may be new, but I am not. 25 years in Chrysler racing, the 48RE VB stems for out from out CRT 727 & CRT 904 VB that has set NHRA national world record in Factory Super Stock G

Any questions feel free to call my shop 219-374-0100 John Cope
Cope Racing

slownoma 01-03-2018 09:53 PM

Game changer..

jlibert 01-03-2018 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97rada (Post 2650320)
How many people actually have a t brake that won't wreck an intermediate shaft shortly after letting go of the button. Serious question because I don't see them at any ODSS race

So far, I do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by slownoma (Post 2650451)
What other vendor's besides cope and suncoast?

Goerend.

Every tb vb out there has issues right now. We put a lot of time into making the goerend vb work, but pressure drops are still excessive at lockup and 1-2 shift. I am in close contact with people that have cope and suncoast as well. We are working together to come up with the best setup, but there isn’t a clear winner at this point. Dump valves will be needed, and suncoast Seems to be the only company that is working on that.

slownoma 01-04-2018 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jlibert (Post 2650552)
So far, I do.

Goerend.

Every tb vb out there has issues right now. We put a lot of time into making the goerend vb work, but pressure drops are still excessive at lockup and 1-2 shift. I am in close contact with people that have cope and suncoast as well. We are working together to come up with the best setup, but there isn’t a clear winner at this point. Dump valves will be needed, and suncoast Seems to be the only company that is working on that.

I know copes first few vbs were 727 based. Since figuring out a few issues its moved over to 618s. Any chance the folks your in contact with using the 727?

DieselheaD 01-04-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slownoma (Post 2650559)
I know copes first few vbs were 727 based. Since figuring out a few issues its moved over to 618s. Any chance the folks your in contact with using the 727?

Back up a little bit, cope has been building mopar trans for decades. He released the from scratch full manual transbrake vb a couple years ago for 727(gas) and has a bunch of them out. Towards the end of 2017 he offered that same from scratch full manual transbrake VB for the 618 (diesel)

slownoma 01-04-2018 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselheaD (Post 2650620)
Back up a little bit, cope has been building mopar trans for decades. He released the from scratch full manual transbrake vb a couple years ago for 727(gas) and has a bunch of them out. Towards the end of 2017 he offered that same from scratch full manual transbrake VB for the 618 (diesel)

So my question is are the ones in diesel applications currently not the 2017 style? Are they any different?

DieselheaD 01-04-2018 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slownoma (Post 2650621)
So my question is are the ones in diesel applications currently not the 2017 style? Are they any different?

They've only been available for the diesel since 17 from cope. I would imagine that he copied and improved the 727 version for the 618 diesel crowd

slownoma 01-04-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselheaD (Post 2650631)
They've only been available for the diesel since 17 from cope. I would imagine that he copied and improved the 727 version for the 618 diesel crowd

So the issues JP talked about are cured?

rockjeep73 01-04-2018 02:31 PM

We made some changes to JP's Goerend vb and it helped with some issues and it works however it is not perfect.

CRT 01-04-2018 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselheaD (Post 2650631)

That s just what I did. I took what we did on 727 trans brakes and applied that technology to the 618 trans.

DieselheaD 01-05-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slownoma (Post 2650633)
So the issues JP talked about are cured?

Post #34... it's not my truck but it's painful knowing how many VB related trans issues jp has had with the goerend fmvb transbrake setup because at some point in the future I'll be in the same boat.

97rada 01-05-2018 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DieselheaD (Post 2650705)
Post #34... it's not my truck but it's painful knowing how many VB related trans issues jp has had with the goerend fmvb transbrake setup because at some point in the future I'll be in the same boat.

This is pretty much the only reason I havnt pulled the trigger on one. I have not seen any that work without problems. I want to see one actually go rounds. I went 65+ passes on my Trans last year. I don't want to deal with rebuilds between rounds ect. I would love to test them but for the initial price that's a huge investment.

slownoma 01-05-2018 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 97rada (Post 2650731)
This is pretty much the only reason I havnt pulled the trigger on one. I have not seen any that work without problems. I want to see one actually go rounds. I went 65+ passes on my Trans last year. I don't want to deal with rebuilds between rounds ect. I would love to test them but for the initial price that's a huge investment.

Exactly what I'm asking. No one is running one without issues from what I gather. I also would not mind testing...

CRT 01-05-2018 12:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by slownoma (Post 2650745)
Exactly what I'm asking. No one is running one without issues from what I gather. I also would not mind testing...

I built and sold 68 of my billet trans brakes last year. All out there going rounds and winning races