Gooseneck trailer features

CTDYoungGun

Seth- Fuel Injection Guy
I'm planning on building my own trailer soon since nobody builds exactly what I want. Here's what I've got in mind and you guys can critique and add anything you wish your current trailers have that would be handy.

40' full tilt deck (12* loading angle)
Triple 10k dual tire dexter oil bath axles with hydraulic brakes
Triple air ride air lift suspension setup
48" and 48" axle spacing
Steel inner/ aluminum outer wheels
60/40 deck split (24' from center axle forward and 16' behind)
36" deck height
14" 22lb I beam main frame and 10" 15lb I beam deck frame
Winch mounted in the front of the deck
Hydraulic jacks
Obviously hydraulic tilt- scissor or twin cylinders (undecided)
Torque tube- in deck frame or neck to axle frame?
Rub rail with round and channel tie down points
Considering tie down points on the deck- think rollback tow truck where a short chain can be dropped in and hooked

Anything else you guys can think of/ change/ recommend?

Triple duals? How much weight are you gonna haul.

I want to be able to legally haul 2 pulling vehicles if the need arises. 40' will barely be long enough but it should work if done correctly

About 18k, cause that trailer is gonna weigh at least 12k.

What's it going to be used for?

It will primarily be used to haul a pulling truck and support vehicle, but I find myself buying and hauling oddball stuff and equipment regularly.

My thinking is to build 1 trailer that is capable of hauling anything I would ever want to haul behind a pickup. The triple dual idea with all 3 axles being lift axles goes beyond weight capacity- by using any combination of 1-3 axles a guy has a lot more choice in how and where weight can be loaded. I also don't like pushing axles and tires to their capacity, so another axle and set of tires would lessen the stress on everything.

To me a 40' full tilt seems really sketchy. I don't think I've ever seen one that long tilt. It's going to be one heavy pig! You better check your DOT laws on the 3 axles with duals also. That may require a CDL to pull in some states.

Your building a trailer that's gonna need a class 8 truck to pull it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To me a 40' full tilt seems really sketchy. I don't think I've ever seen one that long tilt. It's going to be one heavy pig! You better check your DOT laws on the 3 axles with duals also. That may require a CDL to pull in some states.

Sketchy as in loading a vehicle at that height or sketchy by design? I've seen a lot of 40' full tilts but they are primarily container trailers. I've got a class A cdl so that part wouldn't be an issue

Your building a trailer that's gonna need a class 8 truck to pull it.

A max gvwr of 36k seems like a waste of a Pete to me, but I'm used to my dad always running heavy hauling cattle LOL

Keep the ideas coming! I haven't built it yet, just running through design ideas

The trailer is gonna be so heavy by the time your done, when you load it down, it's gonna work the phuck out of a 3500.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sketchy as in loading a vehicle at that height or sketchy by design? I've seen a lot of 40' full tilts but they are primarily container trailers. I've got a class A cdl so that part wouldn't be an issue

A max gvwr of 36k seems like a waste of a Pete to me, but I'm used to my dad always running heavy hauling cattle LOL

Keep the ideas coming! I haven't built it yet, just running through design ideas

Container trailers have a "box" frame, so that in itself adds strength to the trailer.

How much does a pulling truck weigh? 8k? Dual tandem should be more than enough for two trucks I would think. I want a hydraulic dovetail trailer, would make loading/unloading a mini excavator way less butt puckering. With three dually axles and 40+ feet, you will need a lot of truck to pull it. That won't be light. I would think a standard dual tandem would be more than enough for 2 trucks.

If you want to tilt the entire deck, break it at the neck and move the axles forward. The tilt decks this long already on the market do it this way for a reason, less metal (more load) and less complexity. You also will have some serious weight savings since you only need one framework heavy enough for the load and no worries about it seesawing.

How about a sliding axle setup instead of a tilt deck? Keeps the loading angle nice and low and cuts the entire 2nd frame for the deck out of the weight of the trailer

Edit: didn't see billysgoat's response before posting.

Last edited:

Yea loading at that height. What would the front height be on a 40' long deck? I know on my 40' normal trailer the frame flex with torque tubes is a fair amount. I couldn't imagine lifting that beotch 8'-9' in the air and loading it. I like the sliding axle Idea. Keeps everything low and when you slip off the floor in the rain it's way closer to the ground

Sliding axle, Landoll type trailer...and a class 6+ truck. Screw oil bath axles, get grease, you'll thank me later when they all leak. Triple duals? That's be fine as long as you can pick up the front or rear set. If you don't, most states won't let you pull it without a CDL and you are gonna eat tires like you've never seen. Hell, most states won't let you pull a dual tandem without a CDL. Not sure if you can use the "not for hire" or "RV" bs or not.

Torque tube is just added weight. If all you are going to do is haul trucks on pavement, no reason to add that much weight. If you were hauling hay on in-even ground then yes.

Last edited:
If I ever get around to building a trailer, I'm going to use drum Dodge Dana 80 ends for my axles. 10x easier and cheaper to service the brakes compared to typical 10k trailer axles.

Why not buy a semi and an old moving trailer and just be done? Then you can haul 2 pull trucks, support vehicle, and whatever tools you want and never have to think about weight issues.

If I ever get around to building a trailer, I'm going to use drum Dodge Dana 80 ends for my axles. 10x easier and cheaper to service the brakes compared to typical 10k trailer axles.

Mine has Alko 10K oil baths. Every one of the seals leak and the brakes are all soaked. I have all new brakes and seals in a box. Some day when I have time, they are all getting cleaned, replaced, and converted to grease. Mine sets too long at a time to keep the oil seals lubed so they won't leak.

Back