Competition Diesel.Com -  Bringing The BEST Together

Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/index.php)
-   Jeep Diesel (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=178)
-   -   New to me Liberty CRD (http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206018)

RockinRam96 10-09-2021 06:04 AM

New to me Liberty CRD

3 Attachment(s)
Hey guys. Picked up a 2005 Jeep Liberty CRD last weekend for pretty much a steal. Front drivers side ball joint broke on the PO, he sold his house and needed it gone. This will be the perfect little truck for hunting adventures and such.

I spent a little time (mostly driving into town to get parts) getting it put together enough to get on the trailer. Finally, I removed the old ball joint stud, drilled a hole in the cup and put a bolt through the spindle and the control arm.

This little diesel is pretty cool. Sounds awesome. I am going to replace the timing belt, water pump and thermostat but after that they seem like pretty reliable little motors.

Wild love some power upgrades but there doesn’t seem to be the support for them anymore. So I’m on to suspension lift kits, wheels and tires. Ya know, the Jeep thing!

Attachment 76330

Attachment 76329

Attachment 76331

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thatguy69 10-09-2021 07:15 AM

Pretty sure yard burnout had one of these, I'm sure he will chime in

bigstacks95 10-09-2021 12:22 PM

I worked on one for a gal many years ago. Its a cool little engine but horribly designed. You need to buy (or make) special tools to do the timing belt. Also the timing gears are not keyed onto the camshafts they are just held on by a bolt and the tightness of the bolt is what keeps them from spinning. Also very common for the rockers/lifters to break, they are overhead cam and lifters are part of the valve cover gasket. Overall once you do the lifters, timing belt, water pump, Fubar the EGR, re-route the crankcase vent, put a decent fuel filter setup on them, and tune them, they are good reliable little engines. I defiantly wouldn't rely on it for long distances until you at least get most of that stuff done though.

Archnemesis 10-09-2021 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigstacks95 (Post 2747365)
I worked on one for a gal many years ago. Its a cool little engine but horribly designed. You need to buy (or make) special tools to do the timing belt. Also the timing gears are not keyed onto the camshafts they are just held on by a bolt and the tightness of the bolt is what keeps them from spinning. Also very common for the rockers/lifters to break, they are overhead cam and lifters are part of the valve cover gasket. Overall once you do the lifters, timing belt, water pump, Fubar the EGR, re-route the crankcase vent, put a decent fuel filter setup on them, and tune them, they are good reliable little engines. I defiantly wouldn't rely on it for long distances until you at least get most of that stuff done though.

Yeah when I got the one I did used with only 112k miles it was only $5k cash and being a 4x4 diesel its just a fun little beater. It had the timing belt done before I got it. It got straight piped and then autozone spectre filtered and its honestly a pretty stout piece of equipment. Only issues I have had is injector original seal needing to be replaced,, thermostat stuck open which really only a winter issue,, then recently torque converter being dumb. One of my guys uses it as a daily commuter and honestly he and I drive the same and we beat on it pretty hard.

My favorite experience with it was actually when I blew my comp68. The whale shark yard burnout machine weighed about 13k lbs and had about 900lbs of shingles in the bed. Getting a flatbed wrecker wasn't something I wanted to do since Chris at Magnolia Diesel performance (formally DRV diesel) was doing the stage 3 Firepunk 48re swap and the shop was only an hr away.

The Liberty CRD pulled the dually the whole way there and maintained 55mph through rolling highways pretty good.

When I pulled into the lot the guys at the shop were pretty impressed it got the dually there.

RockinRam96 10-11-2021 03:08 PM

They seem like pretty neat little engines. I have heard and read that timing belts are a big thing, but also that the rocker stands are made to be weak so if the timing slips, the rocker stands break instead of breaking a valve off in the combustion chamber.

I do plan o putting a timing belt on it before putting to many miles on it. For what I will use this for, a new timing belt will last me a LONG time.

I do need to address the crank case vent though. I had the charge air piping off it yesterday and noticed a lot of oil. So my first thought was to check the turbo. When taking the piping off I noticed the crank case was vented into the intake tube of the turbo. Think I'll just run a hose to the ground, like every other diesel engine I know of.

Valair1 10-12-2021 01:45 PM

I have an 05 with 102k on it, just did the timing belt, idlers, water pump, studs, rocker arms, egr delete, turbo, all new hoses etc..... not to mention the whole front end was worn out so new upper and lower control arms, cv joints, center axel, hub bearings, shock mounts, and really a whole bunch of other shit. Its been a great investment I'm almost 14 K into it in 2 years.

RockinRam96 10-12-2021 04:53 PM

New to me Liberty CRD

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valair1 (Post 2747433)
I have an 05 with 102k on it, just did the timing belt, idlers, water pump, studs, rocker arms, egr delete, turbo, all new hoses etc..... not to mention the whole front end was worn out so new upper and lower control arms, cv joints, center axel, hub bearings, shock mounts, and really a whole bunch of other shit. Its been a great investment I'm almost 14 K into it in 2 years.

What did you do for the EGR delete? Kit and tune?

This one has 189,000 miles on it. It had the timing belt done at 100k so it’s time.

I am currently going though the front end, mainly to put on a lift. Not to mention who knows what all got tweaked when the ball joint broke. I will have rebuilt the whole front end when I’m done with it. But I’m ok with that as I don’t plan on driving it daily. Hoping for more of a trail rig.

I got this thing for a ham sandwich, but I do have a bit invested this far. Just want to get it put back together and driving before I start on the next project.

Archnemesis 10-12-2021 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRam96 (Post 2747407)
They seem like pretty neat little engines. I have heard and read that timing belts are a big thing, but also that the rocker stands are made to be weak so if the timing slips, the rocker stands break instead of breaking a valve off in the combustion chamber.

I do plan o putting a timing belt on it before putting to many miles on it. For what I will use this for, a new timing belt will last me a LONG time.

I do need to address the crank case vent though. I had the charge air piping off it yesterday and noticed a lot of oil. So my first thought was to check the turbo. When taking the piping off I noticed the crank case was vented into the intake tube of the turbo. Think I'll just run a hose to the ground, like every other diesel engine I know of.

To the ground on mine and does just dandy.

Quote:

I found a daystar 1.5" leveling kit and bilsteins on it as it was going to gun range/ fuck around vehicle and ended up putting on lug conversion spacers to run some OEM pull off JK wheels. Has 31" Wrangler Duratracs on it now and had to do a bit of trimming for clearance which wasn't ideal. Wouldn't run the 31" again, but the spacers with conversion really opens alot more options for wheels.

We did have a balljoint snap which wiped out the CV thankfully it let go when my buddy came off the free way to a parking lot.

Paid $5k for the car with 115k miles
$40 for leveling kit
$500 for bilsteins
$1100 for Wranglers
$250 for oem jk wheels and tires
$800 for Balljoint and CV
$40 Spetre air filter
$270 JK bumper with custom mounts

So basically $8k into mine. I ran one storm season with it criss crossing from North Houston to South basically 100miles a day. I let it idle its ass off, 15hrs sometimes running never turning it off. They're reliable as hell, just need to be maintained. They're actually used it many taxis in Europe and are easily capable of 400k miles plus.

My buddy uses it now as a daily commuter doing 80miles a day and it runs like a top.

This was from the Texas Freeze.....

https://i.ibb.co/rcMnnjW/Resized-20210216-101117-1.jpg

RockinRam96 10-12-2021 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archnemesis (Post 2747436)
To the ground on mine and does just dandy.

I found a daystar 1.5" leveling kit and bilsteins on it as it was going to gun range/ fuck around vehicle and ended up putting on lug conversion spacers to run some OEM pull off JK wheels. Has 31" Wrangler Duratracs on it now and had to do a bit of trimming for clearance which wasn't ideal. Wouldn't run the 31" again, but the spacers with conversion really opens alot more options for wheels.

We did have a balljoint snap which wiped out the CV thankfully it let go when my buddy came off the free way to a parking lot.

Paid $5k for the car with 115k miles
$40 for leveling kit
$500 for bilsteins
$1100 for Wranglers
$250 for oem jk wheels and tires
$800 for Balljoint and CV
$40 Spetre air filter
$270 JK bumper with custom mounts

So basically $8k into mine. I ran one storm season with it criss crossing from North Houston to South basically 100miles a day. I let it idle its ass off, 15hrs sometimes running never turning it off. They're reliable as hell, just need to be maintained. They're actually used it many taxis in Europe and are easily capable of 400k miles plus.

My buddy uses it now as a daily commuter doing 80miles a day and it runs like a top.

This was from the Texas Freeze.....

https://i.ibb.co/rcMnnjW/Resized-20210216-101117-1.jpg

What size tires are the Wranglers? On stock suspension, just a leveling kit?

$1,100 seems quite steep for tires. $800 for ball joints and CV seems quite steep. I think I have about $800 in one new CV, 2 new wheel bearings, 2 new ball joints, sway bar end links and lower A-arm bushings.

Archnemesis 10-12-2021 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRam96 (Post 2747438)
What size tires are the Wranglers? On stock suspension, just a leveling kit?

$1,100 seems quite steep for tires. $800 for ball joints and CV seems quite steep. I think I have about $800 in one new CV, 2 new wheel bearings, 2 new ball joints, sway bar end links and lower A-arm bushings.

All those prices were someone else doing the work as I don't have time.

RockinRam96 10-13-2021 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archnemesis (Post 2747439)
All those prices were someone else doing the work as I don't have time.

Makes more sense now. Guess I’m saving a bit doing the work myself then. That’s good to know. Luckily I have have the past 2 weekends off to work on it.

Wheels are in, last pieces of the suspension parts should be in today. Hoping to call and get a status on the lift kit this afternoon.

RockinRam96 10-13-2021 10:09 AM

Quote:

What did you do for a replacement turbo?

Valair1 10-13-2021 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRam96 (Post 2747434)
What did you do for the EGR delete? Kit and tune?

This one has 189,000 miles on it. It had the timing belt done at 100k so it’s time.

I am currently going though the front end, mainly to put on a lift. Not to mention who knows what all got tweaked when the ball joint broke. I will have rebuilt the whole front end when I’m done with it. But I’m ok with that as I don’t plan on driving it daily. Hoping for more of a trail rig.

I got this thing for a ham sandwich, but I do have a bit invested this far. Just want to get it put back together and driving before I start on the next project.

I got the egr delete before everything went wrong, for tunes I got some off of lostjeeps.com seem to work pretty well. Also I just bought sasquatch's new replacement and its doing fine we'll see how it goes. I am tempted to have my factory one rebuilt.

bateman 10-13-2021 12:17 PM

I might have missed it, but what kind of fuel mileage do these things get?

BIG PHIL 10-13-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRam96 (Post 2747407)

Sasquatch makes a catch can kit that I put on Valair1's jeep. eliminates the oil in the intake. Check out the lostjeeps.com forum. There is a lot of helpful info for these jeeps there. Including a thread on how to put tunes on it for $30. I have it permanently up on my computer since Dan bought his. If you haven't done the timing belt, this article was invaluable when I did it...
How To Guide: Jeep Liberty 2.8 CRD Timing Belt Replacement:

BIG PHIL 10-13-2021 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bateman (Post 2747462)
I might have missed it, but what kind of fuel mileage do these things get?

We've seen up to 27 mpg

RockinRam96 10-13-2021 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG PHIL (Post 2747467)
Sasquatch makes a catch can kit that I put on Valair1's jeep. eliminates the oil in the intake. Check out the lostjeeps.com forum. There is a lot of helpful info for these jeeps there. Including a thread on how to put tunes on it for $30. I have it permanently up on my computer since Dan bought his. If you haven't done the timing belt, this article was invaluable when I did it...
How To Guide: Jeep Liberty 2.8 CRD Timing Belt Replacement:

I have seen a few catch can kits out there. They seem expensive for what they are.

I have now watched a few YouTube videos on tuning and on the timing belts. I did the time belt in one of my gas Jetta’s. Was a PITA. Being that you can remove everything in front of this engine, timing belt shouldn’t be to bad.

I am also curious to see what these get for mileage. I have heard many reports of upper 20s. I plan on a lift and putting 265/75/16s. So I’ll be curious to see where the mileage goes. I’ve read on other forums to regear them to 4.11.

I am disappointed with LOST Jeeps. I’ve tried registering a few times but it doesn’t seem to work.

Archnemesis 10-13-2021 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG PHIL (Post 2747468)
We've seen up to 27 mpg

Lol, I think the best I've gotten was around 18-19mph and that's with 85mph highway runs mixed with long extended periods of idling.

BIG PHIL 10-14-2021 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRam96 (Post 2747471)

I am disappointed with LOST Jeeps. I’ve tried registering a few times but it doesn’t seem to work.

Yeah, I had issues too... in fact I still haven't been able to register either. I messaged a guy on Facebook named William Hatcher, he is an admin and said he can get us registered. He needs your username and email. His profile picture is a dog sitting in the grass. There is also a Jepp crd page on facebook with some knowledgeable guys on there.

BIG PHIL 10-14-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockinRam96 (Post 2747471)

Update, William got back with me this morning and got me registered. Apparently, the woman that used to run it has lost interest in it.