Custom Built Gooseneck Hitch

RNicol

Growin them Bushels !
I was just seeing what you guys have done as far as building/designing your own gooseneck hitches. I've seen a lot of different ways people make them and I wanted to see what you guys have used. I considered a B&W but its just way to easy and cheap to design something yourself that'll work. If I cant plant this weekend I'll be taking the bed off my mega cab and a friend of mine who is a very good fabricator will be helping me put a hitch in. Let me know what you got!!! :pop:

I hate to sound like this but it's just to easy to order a hitch and not pull the bed off for install and design, and sweep up steel dust for hours after its all finished. I will be waiting on pics once finished, sounds like a good idea I just wouldnt have the time to go that route.

I hate to sound like this but it's just to easy to order a hitch and not pull the bed off for install and design, and sweep up steel dust for hours after its all finished. I will be waiting on pics once finished, sounds like a good idea I just wouldnt have the time to go that route.

I understand and I've heard the same from others haha. The person who will be helping me made his own for like just over 100 dollars I think, and he's sure made his prove itself because he's had tandem axle flatbed dually gooseneck loaded down many times with VERY heavy loads, and he's had no trouble with his hitch. Granted it takes a little time, effort, thinking, and maybe a few cold ones to get it done but IMO it's worth it to me. Hopefully it'll all go well.:Cheer:

The limits on MOST hitches is the ball and not the brackets and plate around it. You can build a hitch to hold 100k but if the ball gives out at 30k then what does it matter. Not even counting the rest of your truck and trailer like the axles, brakes, suspension and frame.

The limits on MOST hitches is the ball and not the brackets and plate around it. You can build a hitch to hold 100k but if the ball gives out at 30k then what does it matter. Not even counting the rest of your truck and trailer like the axles, brakes, suspension and frame.

Understandable. I also just like the idea of a solid plate with no moving/workable parts that will wear out. Getting in the bed and hitting the handle of the ball with a hammer a couple times to loosen it and screw it out is no big deal to me..

Have you looked at the turn over? Pull a pin, lift the ball and flip it over. No moving parts except the pin. As for the "screw" in type you mention I have some friends in Ohio (Warren County) that use those. One thing I would recommend is getting a plug to keep dirt out of that thing. We spent almost an hour getting a rock out of there once.

Have you looked at the turn over? Pull a pin, lift the ball and flip it over. No moving parts except the pin. As for the "screw" in type you mention I have some friends in Ohio (Warren County) that use those. One thing I would recommend is getting a plug to keep dirt out of that thing. We spent almost an hour getting a rock out of there once.

My dad had a plate professionally put in by Custom Cabs & Trailers in Jasestown, OH. Its just a 1 or 1.5x6in plate that is welded across the frame rails. They install more of those than the B&W's and they've proven themselves. He's also got the plastic plug that screws in and that really helps with keeping the threads clean. My setup hopefully will be very close to this.

the hitch in my old workhorse is just a 3/8" plate, with another 1/4" plate in the center turned 45º and welded on, with a hole through the center and the ball bolted on, and a bead of weld on the ball top and bottom, Dad built it back in the 60's and it's outlasted something like 5 pickups on the farm.

I understand and I've heard the same from others haha. The person who will be helping me made his own for like just over 100 dollars I think, and he's sure made his prove itself because he's had tandem axle flatbed dually gooseneck loaded down many times with VERY heavy loads, and he's had no trouble with his hitch. Granted it takes a little time, effort, thinking, and maybe a few cold ones to get it done but IMO it's worth it to me. Hopefully it'll all go well.:Cheer:

I am sure it will go fine, I have installed 3 B&W hitches. I know if I would have built them I would have used much heavier iron, if you build one I am sure you won't have any issues. Good luck and waiting on pictures.:Cheer:

I'm picking up my trailer I'n about 3 weeks. It's my first gooseneck and never paid much attention to them I'n the bed of any trucks, I'm going to build mine. Should i just center the ball between the bed rails and have it right over the axle?

I have some of the pieces plama cut to build one that the ball will sit down in a well and be flush or just below the bed floor. I figure then it's out of the way, never needs to come out, and if the ball gives up the coupler is sitting in a hole and can't really go anywhere.

Ive never bought a hitch for any of my past trucks. My flat bed came with one built in though...

I take a piece of 1" thick plate as wide as the outside of the frame and weld it to the frame. Then I take a piece of 4" or 6" channel and cut it just a little smaller than the inside of the frame, and cut a hole in the center for the gooseneck ball collar to go through. Weld the channel underneath the 1". I use the Gooseneck ball that comes with a collar. Collar gets welded to the 1" plate before you put the 1" under the truck.

Or

Invert a a piece of 6" and a piece of 4" channel iron together and weld them together. Cut a hole in each one for the gooseneck ball collar to fit in. Weld the collar to both pieces of channel. Put the hitch up under the truck between the bed and the frame. Weld it in place.

We have always done the ones on our fords with the bed in place. Haven't done one on a Dodge though.

~Good Luck~

Last edited:
I'm picking up my trailer I'n about 3 weeks. It's my first gooseneck and never paid much attention to them I'n the bed of any trucks, I'm going to build mine. Should i just center the ball between the bed rails and have it right over the axle?

B&W puts the ball 4 1/2 inches in front of the rear axle I have seen custom hitches as far as 7 inches in front but turning clearance can be a problem.

Ive never bought a hitch for any of my past trucks. My flat bed came with one built in though...

I take a piece of 1" thick plate as wide as the outside of the frame and weld it to the frame. Then I take a piece of 4" or 6" channel and cut it just a little smaller than the inside of the frame, and cut a hole in the center for the gooseneck ball collar to go through. Weld the channel underneath the 1". I use the Gooseneck ball that comes with a collar. Collar gets welded to the 1" plate before you put the 1" under the truck.

Or

Invert a a piece of 6" and a piece of 4" channel iron together and weld them together. Cut a hole in each one for the gooseneck ball collar to fit in. Weld the collar to both pieces of channel. Put the hitch up under the truck between the bed and the frame. Weld it in place.

We have always done the ones on our fords with the bed in place. Haven't done one on a Dodge though.

~Good Luck~

Last night i was at tractor supply and they had a piece of 3/8 about 3.5-4 foot wide I'm guessing, with a piece of half
I'n the center and the ball with the hooks. It's a pretty decent piece so i said screw it we will see how it works. If i would have read your reply beforehand, i wouldn't have bought it.

My bed will be coming off today and a hitch will be going in !

I just bought a #40,000 rated Atwood brand ball, two safety hook squared u-bolts, and had a plate cut out of high tensile plate. I bolted that to a Curt Manufacturing installation kit on my old truck. I have the CAD file if you want to just email it to a shop and have them cut it out.

DSC00087.jpg

I have a B&W in my new truck. Only complaint is, with empty trailer and rough county roads, the SOB rattles like hell.

Lots more info here:

Gooseneck Hitches - Competition Diesel.Com - Bringing The BEST Together

More pics:

attachment.php

attachment.php

And there is no reason to put that SOB more than 2 inches in front of the axle. My B&W is about 6 and that is way too freakin' far. $.02

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Capture2.jpg
    Capture2.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
My god Jory, the cool chit you can do with a compooper is awesome i would never be bored if i could do that.

I'm never bored. LOL If I had money to fund all the projects in my head I'd have to quit my job to keep up.