smoke all the time.

dangerous06

diesel tech
I've got an 06 I put a 6.7 in with all 5.9 electronics Running a 465 with Flux II injectors. EFI Tuning by Les problem is the truck is laggy down low and black smoke all the time. Doesn't matter what setting stock or race same smoke level. The higher tunes are much faster but it never cleans up. boost builds to 40+ psi really great after 2000rpm. What is the issue? I built the same engine set up last year and it was a train from idle just bury you in the seat! This build is a dog! Pretty sure I was using a 188 220 cam in the first build but somethings off!

I have a 6.7 with all 5.9 electronics, I have a 188 220 cam (IIRC) in it, and I can barely get it to haze, even with very heavy throttle input. I have 100 HP injectors and have a S366/S475 compound set-up on it. It will only make 35 PSI at WOT and it is not waste gated. I think you have more injector than air, not from the charger side, from the cam side.

If you didn't switch to 03/04 nozzle injectors then it will never clean up. No different than running late 5.9 nozzles on an early piston. It is a smokey pig.

I forgot to mention I used 06 injectors with 6.7 industrial pistons so the spray pattern matched.

OK Update. Changed tune still Smokey. My builder can't be reached so I have to pull an injector and look inside! My Question is Say it's a QSB with the 06 5.9 spray pattern bowl would a early 04 spray pattern be smokey since it's still in the bowl? What about the other way 04 bowl with 06 spray pattern? My injector builder swears it's early 04 pattern. Is there anything else that would make a tune smoke thru the entire RPM? Turbo, ECM ISSUE maybe bad ground anything stupid??

Your symptoms are the spitting image is a late spray injector on an early style bowl. Trucks ran ok but were laggy smokey pigs. Need to verify spray angle and pistons.

Late 5.9 nozzles on a early 5.9 or 6.7 piston will be a smokey and laggy. The qsb wide bowl should be able to run either nozzle. I never understood why it was like this. 143* is wider than 124* so both are in the bowl. I assume it has to do with the way the dome is shaped.

Late 5.9 nozzles on a early 5.9 or 6.7 piston will be a smokey and laggy. The qsb wide bowl should be able to run either nozzle. I never understood why it was like this. 143* is wider than 124* so both are in the bowl. I assume it has to do with the way the dome is shaped.

The 124* is actually spraying close to the point in the center of the piston. The early piston wasn’t designed to have heat focused there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well there is a break through! They did indeed put a QSB piston in it! So I switched out the 04 injectors for 06 injectors and it's a train without the smoke! Pulls hard little smoke at pedal stab! Tires break at 50mph in race mode! Finally done damn nightmare lesson learned! Never assume the builder is gonna do it right!

Thanks mark! When you delete the obvious from the equation it gets harder! Actually had to verify piston type! Who Would think they would throw QSB pistons in an 08 build!
My builder has been building motors for years and this was a wrench in the gears still not sure how he did it! But this is CompD so let the flogging continue!

I'll give you one thing, at least you don't totally destroy things!
You have a sense when something isn't right and don't push it.

I have piles of junk parts that show people are idiots, they don't care what a noise means, or what smoke is all about. :stab:

Mark.

Well there is a break through! They did indeed put a QSB piston in it! So I switched out the 04 injectors for 06 injectors and it's a train without the smoke! Pulls hard little smoke at pedal stab! Tires break at 50mph in race mode! Finally done damn nightmare lesson learned! Never assume the builder is gonna do it right!

So glad to read on the internet that the issue was fixed.

Back