turbo whistle, stock vs aftermarket vvt

06cumminspower

So it's eating me alive right now to know what the difference is between stock vvt turbo that sounds like hissing while spooling out of exhaust and other garrett vvt chargers sound like a 6.0/jet turbine coming out of exhaust? Is it the exhaust wheel or vanes that creates that magical noise over the stocker?

It would be the total combination but the powerstroke turbine wheel makes the biggest diff.

Turbine wheel alone? Huh. I guess gm wanted their trucks quiet but I see all these videos on YouTube of powermax turbos were they sound like 6 liters. Can the turbine wheel/ be swapped out to make stock charger sound like that

Some of the guys doing the 6.0 turbos are using different garrett turbine wheels like the gt-40 in the bigger vgt's. One even mixed duramax/powerstroke into a durastroke hybrid turd. I don't think he does turbos anymore.

Vanes have an effect on it, but the 10 blade turbine wheels do most of it. The 3794 stg1 powermax is a good upgrade and spools faster than the 4094 and makes almost as much power.

Turbine wheel alone? Huh. I guess gm wanted their trucks quiet but I see all these videos on YouTube of powermax turbos were they sound like 6 liters. Can the turbine wheel/ be swapped out to make stock charger sound like that

yep, turbine blade design makes a huge difference in turbine whistle... it's not purely blade count as some 10 blades whistle like crazy where others don't. an HT3B has a 12 blade wheel, and it whistles like crazy

obviously, spinning it faster at idle with a VVT/VGT will compound the effect, but the wheel is the difference, not the number of vanes in the VVT section

Back