Common rail swap into 2nd gen

So, in other words, nothing conclusive, nothing you have actually seen work or used personally.

Mark.

Well I have personally got mine to run without the SKIM....

For some reason I thought destroked and Diesel Conversion was one company now?

Last edited:
I figured I would post some build pics! Cab off the donor truck!
IMG_2973.jpg

IMG_2974.jpg

Freshly steam cleaned engine!
IMG_2984.jpg

Cleaned the engine bay of the truck it's going in to.

IMG_2985.jpg

finally a pic of the truck!
IMG_2987.jpg

I did test start the truck and have drove it in and out of the shop. No tipm. No extra modules. Engine ecm only and a tube from me with efi live.

Truck runs and drives great. Only running engine ecm. Got a few small details to wrap up. The whole cluster works. Will post pics and video later

That's crazy clean for a 99. No wonder you wanted to transplant the newer engine. Congrats on finishing up the swap! I'm in for some pics too.

Been so busy driving it and using it I haven't had time to take pics, heres an engine bay shot, still need to finish the exhaust brake switch wiring. and redo the way I mounted the tone ring on the crank, it didn't last. Truck runs and drives AMAZING, so odd having a second gen that just behaves so well and tows. Also being so quiet you can talk on the phone! The truck is really clean and I owned it prior which made me want to do all this work. Little background on the truck, it was sold here at the dealer in town in 99 and has never left this county!

IMG_3066.jpg

Last edited:
Great work, sir!
Thanks man!

Nice build. Now flash in a 12v tune:evil
Haha I didn’t even think of that. That’s a good idea!
Any updates?
Everything has been done and completed except making cruise and exhaust brake work. I just haven’t had time with everything I do and my common rail half ton has been getting all the love, anything you’d like to know? I have flashed a csp5 tune I built with a switch. Full on the fly adjustable power with the factory cm2100 ecm.
Very clean install! Subscribed for future reference.

Scott
Thanks! Sorry it took so long to respond I just now seen there was some comments on here.

Where are you on cruise control? I'm getting mixed responses about what is needed.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nice install, have a couple questions

How did you get the gauges to work? I saw on your pic that the vp44 ECM is mounted and connected on the firewall of the truck. Can you explain how it is connected to the 6.7? Or the engine related gauges at the dash not working at this time?

Where are you on cruise control? I'm getting mixed responses about what is needed.

I hadn’t worked on cruise till 2 days ago. I have a 6.7 abs module talking but it doesn’t like any of the wheel speed signals it gets trying to get a speed signal to the cm2100. So i ran vacuum to the factory cruise Servo and it doesn’t move when you set the cruise. So I may just do my own cruise box from a 90s model Chevy and hook the cable to the pedal.
How did you get the gauges to work? I saw on your pic that the vp44 ECM is mounted and connected on the firewall of the truck. Can you explain how it is connected to the 6.7? Or the engine related gauges at the dash not working at this time?
All gauges and ac work like factory. I added all the sensors it needed to the 6.7 and reworked the vp harness to relocate the ecm and where the new sensors were.

I think for the vacuum youd have to swap in a 24v or later year heater core when they switched to voltage driven actuators because when swapping my 95 12v into a 02 I ran into that problem. Since they went to hydro steering they got rid of vacuum driven power steering so my vacuum pump will only run the other accessories but they are now voltage driven I’ll either swap a 95 heater core in or have to splice the 02 harness to the 95 motor

Jake/cummins has a vaccum pump and brake used with their exhaust brake that bolts where the extra CP3 rides. You can look at my build thread and see it

I think for the vacuum youd have to swap in a 24v or later year heater core when they switched to voltage driven actuators because when swapping my 95 12v into a 02 I ran into that problem. Since they went to hydro steering they got rid of vacuum driven power steering so my vacuum pump will only run the other accessories but they are now voltage driven I’ll either swap a 95 heater core in or have to splice the 02 harness to the 95 motor
I’m running an electric vacuum pump that works the hvac perfectly. Comes on super dutys and the early common rail trucks.
Jake/cummins has a vaccum pump and brake used with their exhaust brake that bolts where the extra CP3 rides. You can look at my build thread and see it

Yea before I went to that extent for cruise. I’d just use a gm cruise box and be done

I’m running an electric vacuum pump that works the hvac perfectly. Comes on super dutys and the early common rail trucks.

Yea before I went to that extent for cruise. I’d just use a gm cruise box and be done

My application needed the extra capacity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back