Thread: My Engine Idea
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2017, 11:42 PM   #37
Bodacious

Name: Bodacious
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Thanks for all the replies on the CAD stuff. I really don't care to pay out some money for good stuff. I'd like to be able to get my file finished, export it to a compd member with the CNC machine, and get my part made.

Is this scenario even possible??

Quote:
BUT, what Archie is wanting to accomplish with this same platform is 4x that much HP.

I'm curious how low of TQ archie thinks he can get it down to while burning normal #2 diesel. I understand that's the need/desire to spin it to the moon but actually getting it to and survive is gonna be interesting to see unfold.

So far we're talking about welding up a block. Is this like 3D printing a block with a welder? I laugh but seriously, is that the gist of it?

What about the crank? rods? pistons? valve train? What diesel fuel injection system can handle 10K RPMs? Anything out there anywhere currently doing that?
Holly crap, 3600HP? lol

I wonder if I could hook up my spool gun to a 3d printer? lol

Seriously, I have 6061T6 aluminum plate here of varying thicknesses. Jump over to the D&J Dreaming Big post and look at the simplicity of the bedplate. Bulkheads and exterior walls.

I will utilize the steel tension sleeves I learned about on the BMW engines to tie the head to the bedplate. I also later learned watching an interview with Jeremy Wagler, Top Fuel engines as well as his DX500 are utilizing tension sleeves.

I haven't made a decision on cylinders. This LSM water block I have is aluminum with steel sleeves. You can look back in the opening for the oil cooler and see the steel sleeve. This means to me the steel sleeve holds all the circumferential force created in the cylinder. Could a fella simply cut a relief in the bed plate to hold the bottom of the cylinder? Other forces come into play, of course, but in the hypothetical world, wouldn't the engine be just as strong resisting all cylinder pressure forces with just the bed plate, steel cylinder sleeves, steel tension sleeves, and head?

All your other questions are good ones and I will get to them as we go along. Bryant Cranks will do my first crank for $8k.

Thanks to the performance aftermarket, rods should not be an issue.

Valves, springs, etc... will be existing available parts. Since this is ground up design, may as well build it to use existing parts.

I guess the biggest question on my mind right now is how big can I actually go with it before, it to, becomes a packaging problem? I could build a 6.7L that would be roughly 2/3rds the weight and 2/3rds the length. Use existing rods and pistons, bearings, etc... and even run an iron head.

Just imagine what todays design engineers could do with that extra space a fella would have up there between the radiator and fan...