Polished Valve Covers

AlmostBroke94

Unsure if this is the correct spot to post but I have been spending some time cleaning up the motor and other parts, at least what I can until I pull it for a rebuild to get everything else cleaned up. Not trying to bling out everything under the hood but figured getting the valve covers to an almost mirror finish would look good and keep me busy until parts show up.

I started with an 80 grit block to get rid of any imperfections and pitting. Then took it to 120 grit dry, 220 wet and from 400-1500 wet all by hand. Should have went to 2000 but they look decent. After everything was sanded, I bought some compounds from Ace and got right to buffing/polishing.

No where near show quality but pretty darn close to mirror finish!

Attachments

• 20160330_163208.jpg
    20160330_163208.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160330_161938.jpg
    20160330_161938.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20160330_161952.jpg
    20160330_161952.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 0
Thanks guys!! Lots of work into these, even though no hp was gained but I'm pretty happy with how they look! I could probably do 6 in 1 weekend for sure. I spent about an hour with each valve cover. Should have the rest done by saturday!

r-rated_diesel, I would definitely be interested in doing 6 more. Need all the practice I can get. Shoot me a pm for sure.

Wow, those looks awesome! I just did mine to 120 grit to get paint and grime off, but maybe I should keep going. How'd you get into the recess for the headbolts?

Wow, those looks awesome! I just did mine to 120 grit to get paint and grime off, but maybe I should keep going. How'd you get into the recess for the headbolts?

Much appreciated! Honestly I just sanded away haha the recessed parts definitely took more time, I could have left them alone but wanted to make sure every surface was evenly sanded to get the best result.

I use a angel diegrinder and the fine scotch brute wheels.Much faster when you get a wheel worn down use with some good cutting rouge,then your good to hit it with your buffing wheel.

I used to do alot of polishing as a sideline for extra money.you should be able to cut your time down to 30 minutes and that's not rushing.taken your time.

Dale

Back