192.5mph in the Mile!

JQmile

Comp Diesel Sponsor
So, seems like a certain Cummins was flyin' in Denver!....

12019793_898388610197249_698194205022358179_n.jpg

What the? I was home all day holding the couch down while I heal up. Where did this go down at?

Oh and of course, good job. That's haulin the mail.

We had fun down at the Colorado mile, need bigger brakes though!! getting that truck slowed down in half a mile took some doing, even with a chute and changing down through the gears.

Nice work! What tires did you use for those speeds?

I would like to try a standing 1/2 mile, I don't have gearing for the 1 mile.

It's a standing mile. If we do an event like this again we'll use some wide tires on the back to get some traction off the line.

You data log? How far out were you when you could go wide open? I talked to Dave Davidson about his coupe, and he said he was WOT at the 1.1 mile mark on a 1.3 mile course :lolly:

He may have a wee bit more power than you though, plus it's dirt.

1-3 had to short shift due to the skinny tires letting loose, about 1/2 way through 4th I could get my foot down,then 5th 6th were foot down. The truck went past the timing lights at about 3300rpm in sixth. From my time slip.
1/4 mile speed was 109 mph
1/2 mile speed was 150.7 mph
1 mile speed was 192.5

Last edited:
Dang, 109mph on those tires in the quarter is pretty good for a manual trans! You should put some slicks on it and try a quarter mile some time.

What kind of safety equipment did you have to have to run that fast? Cage, shields and what not. Colorado is close enough I would like to do that event.

Our truck is set up for SCTA (Bonneville)rules, 250mph plus spec, it was sufficient for the Colorado mile, the website for full safety specs for the different speeds is at usmileracing.com .

What kind of safety equipment did you have to have to run that fast? Cage, shields and what not. Colorado is close enough I would like to do that event.

Not being a smart ass at all, I have no experience with land speed.

What is great about 192 in a mile? Is it the fact that it sustained that power for that distance without blowing something up? There are pro street trucks out there that could do that, but they probably wouldn't last an entire mile, is that the difference?

Yes, most anything over 175 is a force to be reckoned with.
If you can make a mile event, it's amazing how much hp it takes to run the number in a big bodied vehicle. When guys with 800+hp vettes can't crack double digits, and thousand hp vipers are still in the190's, it's cooler to see a diesel push it that hard, and not leave a piston welded to the cylinder wall.

Its a mix of drag racing traction, plus land racing aero work and safety. It does result in some 260+ mph cars.

Plus it's cool to see billions of dollars in pit row

Back