srw 3.42 gear only?

dieseljunkie

Wasted Wages
thought about buying a new one, but im being told that in a srw truck (2500 or 3500) that the only gear ratio is 3.42. No options? I was thinking a 3.73 would handle 35s better and towing better than the 3.42? Ram told me I can only order it on a dually?

You can get them in a 4.10 with a CTD and limited spin but if you want 3.73 you have to take the Hemi vs the CTD.

*EDIT*

It appears that you are correct, you can only get the 3.42 in a 2500 with a CTD. If you want any other selection you have to get a Hemi.

Last edited:
The stock tires are 33.46 diameter. I had an 18 2500 for 3 month which then got totaled, I’m currently waiting for my new 18 to get built. Judging by the performance of my previous 18, I wouldn’t worry one bit about putting a 35’a on for daily driving. Stock, these trucks run really well.

IMO having driven a 68rfe with 4.10s and 35s I think I would be inclined to go with the deeper gear especially with 35s or larger.

Yep, 3.42:1 only now for SRW trucks...

As far as 35's and towing with 3.42:1's I'd give CJC Off Road a call and ask them what they think. They run pretty much only 35's and 37's on their 4th gen builds and I don't ever recall them mentioning re-gearing. Pretty sure I remember one of their employees answering a similar question on one of their Instagram posts (they reply fairly often to questions there) saying they don't believe re-gearing from 3.42:1's to 4.10:1's or something higher is necessary even with 37's. That was a 68RFE truck they were discussing IRRC, I wouldn't even worry about it on an Aisin truck. That said, my '18 is the only 3.42:1 geared truck I've owned and it's stock so take what I said with a grain of salt. CJC is a top notch outfit and super friendly so they can probably point you in the right direction.

Also, as someone who recently purchased a new truck, don't just believe what the Ram dealer tells you as far as what you can and can't get and what options conflict as I've found the knowledge of Ram/Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler dealer employees can vary dramatically from dealer to dealer... One dealer told me I couldn't get a new truck a certain way and then handed me a brochure that showed exactly what I wanted in several different pages as an option literal minutes later:nail:. I'm sure you and most people know that, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Best of luck on your new truck quest sir!

Theres a reason most trans builders ask what gears and tire size you have when building a 68. Not saying the truck will be undriveable, but you'd be happier with the way it shifts and drives with 3.73s and 35s. I have a friend/customer that had 35s and 3.73s, went to 37s and hated it. 6th gear was useless under 85-90. Went to 4.30s and made it a whole new truck. Much happier truck and driver.

I asked some of my West Coast off-roader associates (deserts, dunes, fire roads, mountain trails, etc.- not rock crawling, not mud bogging) that are familiar with tire size and gearing stuff what they thought and the answers were fairly mixed.

They said, basically,:

3.42:1 gears and 35" tires, towing heavy or not, on an '18 is fine according to them- you'll forget you upgraded the day you put them on.

3.42:1 gears and 37" tires withOUT towing heavy was split. Some say you can get by fine with the 3.42:1 gears, depending on your preferences. Most said at the very least swapping to 3.73:1 gears would be preferred, 4.10:1 gears would be ideal.

3.42:1 gears, 37" tires, AND towing heavy was a consensus that swapping to 4.10:1 or 4.30:1 would be a must.

I know you only asked about 35" tires, but I thought I'd give their full options just in case (I asked about 3.42:1 gears and 37's myself). Just some food for thought:Cheer:.

Last edited:
just seems crazy to me that I can spend $55k on a TRUCK and not get a choice on gears. If it was a Cadillac , then I understand.
Why can I pick and choose on a drw truck? They both run aam 11.5 rearends and a 68rfe?
Maybe ill buy my first Ford... I like there trans gears better anyhow.

My 17' 3500 SRW mega has 3.42's. I wanted the Aisin is why i went 3500. Truck is a total dog. i hook up to my gooseneck with 2 jeeps on it to go wheeling and it has no power on the bottom end. and fuel MPG is horrible. my 07.5 with 3.73's and 35's would walk all over this truck. soon it will get 4.30s and 35's or 4.56's and 37's. cant seem to find much info on gear sets tho.

Towing related answer: I had a '15 Mega 3500 SRW with the 68 & 3.42 gears. It was stock minus being deleted. Loved the truck for highway travel. Towing my big trailer it was a dog on starting out but once it got rolling it was fine. Esp when you loaded two horses in it. New truck is a 16 Crew 3500 DRW with the Aisin & 3.73's all stock minus being deleted. Love the truck for starting off but it's slow goin.

Back