Max momentary egt

JustinP8770

Finishing up a 12 valve rat rod build and having more egt issues than we expected. What is the maximum egt we should allow on a stock internal 12 valve in a manual transmission rat rod application that only lasts while you are in it between shifts? Thank you

What a loaded question. "How hot is too hot"?
-Depends on why it's hot
-Depends on how well it runs.
-Depends on how much un-burnt fuel escapes the tail pipe.
-Depends on the definition of momentary
-Depends on how much work the Rat is actually doing at these high temps

How hot is hot? What are you seeing?

Id say it runs darn good. Smokes black but when we try to turn it down a little performance drops off drastically. Id say temp is up there for a couple seconds. Will peg 1800 degree pyro.

I'd check for boost leaks first.

Also, I see you are new to this forum. Welcome sir. The more information you can give us regarding the fuel/turbo(s)/timing/trans/pistons/rods/etc, the more we can help you. "Hot" is a very relative term.

Timing could play a big part in this as well as injector and turbo combo. Whats the specs on the build?

1997 engine. Stock rods, pistons, rings, and cam. Fire ringed. 5x.013 injectors, 61.5mm s300, intercooled, I don't think we have boost leaks. Reading 60 lbs of boost at intake manifold. I went thru a diesel shop and had them help me set this up but the sales person I was dealing with that selected turbo, injectors and set my pump up he left the business before we got it running. They installed 5k gsk and he said one step below full cut dv's

I've seen plenty of budget built 12V pullers peg a 2200F gauge all the way down the track and just keep working.
Just don't let your coolant boil and I think you'll be okay.

60psi from a single s362? Holy $hit!!!! Is this turbo wastegated? It clearly needs a gate or more of it. My bet is your drive pressure are off the charts. Shoot for high 40’s psi. Tune the gate and take some top end fuel away.

Also. Anything else done to the pump besides the comp cuts and GSK? I would probably suggest going to a smaller DV and definitely put an external gate on that thing. I too am curious to what your drive pressure is.

Id say it runs darn good. Smokes black but when we try to turn it down a little performance drops off drastically. Id say temp is up there for a couple seconds. Will peg 1800 degree pyro.

Manual transmission? You letting off for the shift, losing spool, then slamming the throttle right after the shift and that's when your EGTs jump and then they come back down after you get back on top the turbo? Or are they that hot through a full WOT pull?

thumbnail

Back