View Single Post
Old 07-26-2018, 07:23 PM   #2
Justappumped24v

Name: Justappumped24v
Title: Too Much Time
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr W View Post
I just purchased an 01 p pumped 24 valve Cummins. I am trying to sort out what in the world is hooked up to ECM and what isn’t. Every wire not used is still just hanging there. The first issue I’m trying to fix is the tach. I found the cam sensor threaded in the front of the front cover. My tach will read for about 5 seconds and then stops working. The threads on the cover look course and the threads on the cam sensor is fine. I took it out and the threads are of course all chewed up. The end of the cam sensor looks like it was making contact with the gear itself. If I buy a new sensor should I be trying to get the signal from the front cover? It seems odd and is real close to the fan. Will a new sensor fix the tach or am I not on the right track?

The other issue is the breather. It’s on the front cover and has a short hose on it. I believe this is pushing oil all over this truck. What is the correct (clean) way for these conversions to be done. I bought the truck with the idea to sled pull in the street class. I’m just trying to get a better understanding of what all is done and if all these lost wires need to be in the engine compartment. Any help would be appreciated!
The correct way to do it is buy a conversion timing case and mount the cam pos sensor correctly, that’s a lot of work to pull a case though if you’ve never done it. As far as wiring from what I recall from my 01. All alternator wiring, ac Comp, coolant temp, cam pos sensor, lift pump or tied into an aftermarket one, map sensor, intake air temp, oil pressure, and apps. If I remember correctly the only thing on mine was the plug to the vp44. I used a hand shut off cable so if the truck has a FSS then wires to that. On mine all I had was CEL for the vp44 everything else was a visible PID on a scan tool