Curbed a tire?

J-Pipes

Wife pointed out some damage to the left rear tire of her truck, guessing it's from a parking lot. My question is from the pictures, is it still safe to run, or is it too deep and needs replaced? Truck is used for DD, hauling a zero turn, and once in a blue moon, the 32' gooseneck. It's being able to see white spots that has me a little worried. They don't seem very deep, but I don't know what the white is?
f33ffb107604c68e6fbfa7d62884546f.jpg
edfdd5c0d83e03d613f40fc0d6699c6e.jpg
f3c31cd22e1d929f1b40a38cfd46951d.jpg
7c0912ce4227a196fe87f02eb7c36bca.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

That will do absolutely nothing?

I'd drive it but probably wouldn't let my wife, that's border line sketchy.

If the steels are intact, and pressure isn't lost there's zero issue.

Now add another curb check and might be a different scenario.

Thinking it happened yesterday when she took the baby to the dr. I checked the air psi, was where I left it a few weeks ago. Hopefully we can get by a little while longer, wasn't planning on buying tires right now. On a side note, the 16"×8" Ion alloy wheels on my second gen will not clear the brakes on the 2011 correct? They have excellent tires on them, no wear since I cant drive a bad frame!

It's like a harsh scrape that's annoying you, pull the scabs off and move on.

Mark.
It's the white spots that are exposed that raise concern, I don't know what they are in relation to the construction of the tire? To me the depth looks superficial, but do the white spots actually mean its nearly through?

It's the white spots that are exposed that raise concern, I don't know what they are in relation to the construction of the tire? To me the depth looks superficial, but do the white spots actually mean its nearly through?

The white spots are just an underlay for the white lettering, which goes the full circumference of the tire, even where there's no letters.
It's a very thin layer, compared to the rest of the sidewall.

Mark.

The white spots are just an underlay for the white lettering, which goes the full circumference of the tire, even where there's no letters.
It's a very thin layer, compared to the rest of the sidewall.

Mark.
Ok, I wondered if they were all made as "white walls", with just a thin layer of black to cover all but the letters?

Just turn the tire (well all 4 since they are white letter out) around on the wheel, problem solved, you'll forget all about it! LOL Seriously though it's not near bad enough,imho, to cause an issue.

I would run it, but I would also be on the watch for a deal on a set of tires. You see vehicles all the time around here that have wide white walls, not from buying them that way...

As for your question about running your 16" rims on the 2011, you can make them fit by grinding the back of the calipers, but I would not suggest that on a vehicle that sees traffic every day.

Thanks guys, probably just keep a close eye on it, and keep checking for tire deals. Would like to put a set of cooper at3 xlt on it.

Back