View Single Post
Old 12-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #20
crzycowboy

Name: crzycowboy
Title: Comp Diesel Sponsor
Member`s Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldestof11 View Post
Younger generation is good for cheap products and "swag". Those can have lucrative profit margins but you need volume. Then you have the guys dropping coin because they can afford it now they are settled in jobs. Those guys are going to support you and your business. Finally, those you sponsor (mags, vehicles, events) gives you the audience. If I'm wrong, let me know.

As such, you need to target these people differently.

Swag really sells because it shows support. Since its younger people, show them builds and your sponsored vehicles doing things. Tell them they can help be a part of this great team and buy shirts, stickers, hats. Do giveaways on little things with an occasional big item. That word of mouth spreads quickly.

For the meat and potato group with extra money to spend, running deals around Christmas and tax return time helps tremendously. I bet there can still be a profit of you do this right.

Finally your largest audience needs to see how your product makes a difference. I bet spending more money by sending products to be tested by mags would put a favorable light. I see it if a company sends in their product to be tested or installed on a vehicle in a mag build, they have a successful business as they can AFFORD to "bribe" the mags. Now the mag writes a "OMG! We got this to install and it's AWESOME!" How much better of an advertisement do you need?
Good stuff man! At any event we're there with the teams, we always have hats and t-shirts for sale. I've given many swag products away to kids who come into the pits and sit in the dragster, or pulling truck. It does go a long way when the kid is grinning ear to ear walking away, and I believe the parent will remember that when it comes time for an exhaust need. I've spoken about needing to do holiday discounts, and especially discounts for our countries military personnel. I think it's important to have these sorts of things, as a way to give back to the customers per say. We've had several large opportunities to have our products show cased on several TV shows. That is a bit expensive...ok, a lot expensive, and has scared them away from doing this. Even though, I break it down to them that the $xx,xxx cost over 4 million viewers the first time, and 1.5 million viewers when re-ran 2x, what the actual cost ends up being. Hell even having it "show cased" in the portion of the shows where they just do quick product reviews they've turned down. IMO it's foolish, but I'm not in charge of the $$$ .