13+ Issues????

Timbeaux

Administrator and Head Thread Derailer
Looking at pulling the trigger in the upcoming months on a gently used 13 or 14. Any known issues to look for?

Looking at pulling the trigger in the upcoming months on a gently used 13 or 14. Any known issues to look for?

I just drove my 2014 from Ohio to Virginia Beach,it now has 1950 miles on it. Not a single issue so far. I bought the tradesman and it's the most comfortable ride I've ever had. I say go for it! Warranty should cover any issues. If you get a 14 2500,it'll have the rear coils and better frame,13 2500s won't.

I've just had a few guys say they are weak. One in particular says his 2nd gen with a small chip pulls better than his '13 (has bigger wheels/tires, otherwise stock). IMO if you are going "gently used" I'd go with a '12. That's just me though

I don't know the differences in any of the new models, but I haven't ridden in one yet that was bone stock that impressed me in the slightest.

^^ The Dodges are nice, finally, but they can't keep up power/performance wise. Fords are ridiculous on power, but they don't fit me well.

I got a new 14 3500 drw with the 385/850 combo 2 weeks ago no complaints so far. Got it on a Friday night left at noon on Saturday and hauled the puller 3 hours has plenty of power pulls hills better then my 450 HP lbz . Mine has 4.10 gets down the road pretty good

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

http://www.competitiondiesel.com/forums/showthread.php?t=162224

Here's my review thread from when I got mine. As an update, to date I've had 0 issues in 9000miles. Pulls strong, shifts good, decent mileage. The JWA was a big improvement also. It's not custom tuning, but beggers can't be choosers. I think the 13-14 trucks are much much nicer than the 12 and older trucks. The damn front suspension is a tank. Coils ride excellent. Interior is very modern with tons of features.

For the bad. Still haven't figured a way to keep air pressure below 80psi in the tires without triggering tpms light. I just aired to 50psi and live with the dash light. Dealer even changed settings and did nothing. Only real complaint. Also 3.42 gears are very high around town with a hair bigger tire. 3.73s are probably a better fit overall.

Last edited:
Not sure about weak... I Used my buddy's 14 to haul the race truck to Ennis earlier this year and it was like riding in a Cadillac. I actually liked it so much I just came home with a new 14 2500 Laramie.

My 14 tradesman I have no complaints about the power except its alittle slow off the bottom but can tow my challenger and open trailer like nothing. Trans works flawless. Exhaust brake is strong. Rides decent. Couple small interior noises I cant seem to find and threw an ignition code once.

22,450 miles on mine with one problem. Hauling hay last summer, I took out the radiator fan. It was on nationwide backorder. Took a week to get it in. Other than that, it is awesome.

I had a '14 and it was great! Put a TS Stryker on to knock that little lag off and it's perfect. Not a single thing else you need to do. Pulls great and gets good mileage.

Parents just picked up a 14 laramie 6 speed and she runs pretty damn good for stock. And the exhaust brake works great. Drove a 15,14,13 ford before we found the dodge. Interiors and ride arnt quite as nice but both are great trucks. Just preferr a 6 speed. I was looking into new fords, pretty sure this truck is steering me toward a 15 2500 with black appearance package.

We've got all of the big 3 around that are new and I'm liking the Ram best. The Ford makes good power but has been in the shop too often, the Denali is better than expected but lacks power, and the Ram is weak off the bottom. I went to the dealer this week and they are convinced I need to keep mine(enough so they gave me free parts when I *****ed about steering etc). But once my car sells I'm going Ram or another 65 continental. The biggest problem I have is when you order the bed camera it relocates your backup cameras view to the rear view mirror instead of the larger dash display.

Back