Copper Spray On MLS Headgasket

EverydayDiesel

I drink diesel
I had my head and block decked at the machine shop and I am using a +.020 6.7 MLS gasket.

I searched many threads on here and some say to do it and some say dont. Can this permetex copper spray do any harm?

I don't think it'd do any harm but I wouldn't use it. A clean and dry deck and head is ideal. Recently changed a 12v head gasket that was blown and they used that copper stuff. What a pita to get it all off.

I use it, and have had good luck with it. It's not going to seal combustion gasses, but it helps seal fluids. It's very thin so it doesn't cause thickness problems. I prefer the K&W over the permatex, but I'm not sure there is really much difference.

Paul

The guys at Fleece used a copper gasket spray on the headgaskets on my high mileage Duramax when they replaced the headgaskets when I bought the truck... They seem to be holding up fine, but we are not at huge power at all with the truck. It is only at 550/1000 but had 353,000 miles on it when we bought it and now its around 360,000 or so...

I use it. Makes me sleep good at night. I doubt you hear of it making anything leak or going against what it's used for.

Last summer when my buddies pulling tractor melted a piston, he had a new piston but not a new head gasket. He replaced the piston, sprayed the used head gasket with copper spray, and made 2 runs problem free until the new head gasket came.

i was always taught to use it. built 3 or 5 Cr's in the 650-800 rwhp mark with nothing more than arp 425's and s400's. then again none of them ever get more than 4* above stock timing

I use it on all my CR MLS build's. Like Paul said good for sealing liquids. Hang it from a clean dry area. Lightly spray the first coat. Three medium to heavy coats after that with about 10 minutes between each coat. I use about 75% of the 12oz can.

I use it on all my CR MLS build's. Like Paul said good for sealing liquids. Hang it from a clean dry area. Lightly spray the first coat. Three medium to heavy coats after that with about 10 minutes between each coat. I use about 75% of the 12oz can.

This is what I do for all head gaskets, and sometimes on exhaust gaskets when I reuse them several times.

I used it on a headgasket that had the centers cut out for fire rings, reused the head gasket and replaced the fire rings. Doesnt leak any fluid, seems to be fine.

Fel Pro told us no, and i heard the same thing from another MLS manufacturer years back so we never use it on MLS, only on one piece gaskets.

Back