Coated pistons diy

For you engineer types:

I'm having my own little conversation, but if the coatings work, EGT should be (maybe unnoticeablely) higher due to heat rejection?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yup, you're exactly right. Thermal barrier coatings on the piston crown, etc can help mitigate heat absorption into the piston. Obviously the energy goes somewhere else. That somewhere else can be in doing more work on the piston, or in extra exhaust energy. That ratio changes based on a lot of things, but most of the extra energy goes out the exhaust.

In the old days, the fuel energy balance played out roughly as 1/3 toward work, 1/3 heat loss to coolant, etc, and 1/3 out the exhaust. Obviously the work portion has gone up some on more advanced engines, but the balance is still there.

--Eric

Yup, you're exactly right. Thermal barrier coatings on the piston crown, etc can help mitigate heat absorption into the piston. Obviously the energy goes somewhere else. That somewhere else can be in doing more work on the piston, or in extra exhaust energy. That ratio changes based on a lot of things, but most of the extra energy goes out the exhaust.

In the old days, the fuel energy balance played out roughly as 1/3 toward work, 1/3 heat loss to coolant, etc, and 1/3 out the exhaust. Obviously the work portion has gone up some on more advanced engines, but the balance is still there.

--Eric
I need to have a discussion with you about your work with exhaust energy recuperation and refrigerant. ?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Back