Need some advice

keithb

I know this has been discussed many times but I’m looking for advice on a p-pump conversion on a 24 valve. From what I have read early on I know they were having problems with the injection lines cracking. Is that still an issue or has that got better? I use my truck to pull a camper and my fear is getting off somewhere and a line cracking and no one would have a replacement. I have replaced the VP44 one time and I believe it’s going again. Also from those of you that have done this did you go with mild steel or stainless steel? I’m not building a hot rod I just want something dependable. Thanks for any advice

I went with Scheids mild steel lines and didn't use the support bracket that holds em to the intake horn. Talked to a guy who kept cracking lines until he removed that bracket. I've got somewhere around 10k on my ppump setup, all pretty hard miles and no cracks yet but I still keep extra lines in the tool box.

That’s good to know. If you had it to do over would you still do the p pump? I just trying to get some info. I replaced my VP44 about 20,000 miles ago and started having problems. I just want a good DD and still be able to tow a travel trailer. Thanks for any tips you may have.

You sure it's the VP? Unless something is killing it, it should last a lot longer than 20k miles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That’s good to know. If you had it to do over would you still do the p pump? I just trying to get some info. I replaced my VP44 about 20,000 miles ago and started having problems. I just want a good DD and still be able to tow a travel trailer. Thanks for any tips you may have.

If my truck was still a DD/tow rig I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of the VP. Not that there's anything wrong with it as a ppump truck but it's not worth the trouble if you're not chasing power IMO. I think if you're killing a new VP after 20k miles there's either another problem or it wasn't a good reman.

I pulled the pump off and it is at the pump shop now. I am getting the 216 code for timing. I have a fuel pressure gauge so I know I have lift pump pressure.

Well I got a call from the pump shop today. They are telling me I am getting water in my fuel. I have been getting my filters at the local parts store so I’m not sure if I’m getting the right micron filter. I will be adding another filter.

How often do you drain the water separator? I try to only get fuel at high volume places that *should* stay up on filters and what not. Heard some bad stories about mom and pop fuel stations.

They're probably saying you're getting water in your fuel because the timing piston was all galled up and that points to a lack of lubrication, really that's just a inherent problem with VPs. I've taken a couple apart with less than 5K miles and the coating on the piston is already worn through, it only gets worse from there. It wouldn't hurt to make sure you're getting good clean fuel to the pump and maybe mix in a little 2 stroke oil here and there.

Probably start there, if it's that bad, maybe every other fill up.

Just down the road a ways. I live in Woodville and work in Huntsville.

Wish I had some knowledge to share on the 24v. Good luck with it.

Back