Should I buy a 2004 Jetta TDI?

My BEW pulls 38.6-39.4 routinely running 50 miles a day. It ran 41-43 before the engine issues started.
Highest I've gotten was 51mpg in Colorado.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

My BEW pulls 38.6-39.4 routinely running 50 miles a day. It ran 41-43 before the engine issues started.
Highest I've gotten was 51mpg in Colorado.

I usually get about 36-38MPG but this last tank got 32mpg. It had some idle time and I drove even faster than normal, 90-95 verses 75-80. I have got 41mpg for one tank, but that was in the winter with no AC and driving 75mph for the majority of the time.

I have debated swapping to a taller 5th gear, and still want to get a Malone stage 2.5 tune. Damn race truck keeps taking my fun money though. haha

You should toss some cheap coils on it and lower it an inch or two. It'd looks really good with those tires and no fender gap!

I bottom this thing out 3-4 times a day. The bump stops on the struts are completely gone. I really need some stiff coils.

Get a skid plate if you don't have one already. I highly recommend the one from DieselGeek!!! I had one on our Mk5 and we have one on Kyle's Mk4.

The oil pan on the TDI VW engines is very fragile and thin cast aluminum that will break from an impact and it is not at all protected from the factory.

Get a skid plate if you don't have one already. I highly recommend the one from DieselGeek!!! I had one on our Mk5 and we have one on Kyle's Mk4.

The oil pan on the TDI VW engines is very fragile and thin cast aluminum that will break from an impact and it is not at all protected from the factory.

I totally forgot about that. My roommate in college broke his entering a driveway up a curb too fast. Black oily mess

Protect that oil pan or replace it with a steel one. I just bought another 03 alh golf a month ago and been averaging 43-44 mpg.

Deff not cheaper, but way easier. ha

The Mk4 kit is only $266 or $346 with the side panels which they call Full Metal Jacket...

https://www.dieselgeek.com/collections/vw-skid-plates

How much is a sheet of 0.250 Aluminum these days and a metal break to bend it properly plus fabrication of mounts and hardware and some consumables assuming you have the welders needed??? And of course something for your labor and time as well...

Spend the $ buy the kit and install it in a an hour and be done with it! That's my suggestion anyhow...:snoop:

Just blew the stock turbo up in the Jett... any recommendations on a better one? Vnt 17? Vnt 17/22?

794a11a2c5995c6238823817126c14a6.jpg

Im going to assume that was one of those ebay vnt17 turbos? Id be cool with that! If it lasted that long anyway.

The Malone stg4 tune and a vnt17 would almost double the power. That would ideal.

Last edited:
I would say the s7 is a better turbo than the 17vnt. Suppose to support the same hp range but spools a couple hundred rpm quicker.

Yea, I have a read a few threads about those two turbos.

Right now I am looking to do a full egr delete, intake manifold swap, larger turbo, and probably a stg4 Malone tune.

Im also looking at FMIC setups. I would think some metal piping and a larger intercooler would help things a lot.

I ordered a new VNT17, Malone stage 4 tune, and full EGR delete with race pipe today. I couldn't justify the extra $1000+ for PD150 injectors and larger turbo for only 20hp.

I finally got my car back together and running yesterday. Turned out I already had a Rocketchip tune in the ECU so the Flashzilla couldnt write over it. I had to send the ECU to Malone for a flash. Car runs better, and deff makes more power past 80% throttle. I really wouldn't say its a huge difference for the cost though...

I did pick up some Bilstein from struts and lowering coils, but I am not going to lower the car. I already drag this thing over stuff all the time.

I've been wondering how malone was to deal with. You remove ECU and ship to them?

I'm at or near 100% throttle until I'm at cruising speed. I'm curious how your mileage will turn out.

Back