Welded t4 flange to housing

3 window

Has anyone successfully welded a t4 flange onto a t6 turbine housing opposed to using an adapter? I want to say I’ve seen it before, just wondering how it holds up and how involved of an operation it was. Is an adapter preferred? Thanks guys.

I ran a set off compounds with no hotpipe, just welded the housings together. Ran that set hard, and still running today.

Preheated and beveled, then just ran a 250mig wide open. Then kept the temp up and slowly cooled. Never cracked, and was supporting a good deal of weight.

I ran a set off compounds with no hotpipe, just welded the housings together. Ran that set hard, and still running today.

Preheated and beveled, then just ran a 250mig wide open. Then kept the temp up and slowly cooled. Never cracked, and was supporting a good deal of weight.

how's that work, from t3 flange to turbo outlet?

Pretty slick......

Neat idea.

I used some low quality cast for a t6 foot on my hotpipe and it was a bear to deal with. Stick welded with Nickel rod, then tig’d by Corey, and nickel rod’d again lol. It just would not fuse with mild filler.

Meanwhile the cast he351 flange on the other end took to mig just fine.

Attachments

• EA91C521-A9A9-4C4A-9EB9-BA3C3D138FC8.jpg
    EA91C521-A9A9-4C4A-9EB9-BA3C3D138FC8.jpg
    356.3 KB · Views: 0
Pretty slick......

That's the set I run now, with a bolt up flange so i can change to different chargers.
I dont have a pic of the sets i made by just welding them togethor, but same thing without the Vband.

Main reason I brought that up was welding to the ex housing. I just preheated good, deep bevel, and turned a 250amp mig up wide open with .035 wire and filled the bevel. Then let it slowly cool for over an hr keeping the temp up with a map gas torch.
They've all held up fine.
I'd try to weld up that flange if I was you, bet it work.

I don’t know why anyone would want to weld directly to the housings and make something permanent.

I don’t know why anyone would want to weld directly to the housings and make something permanent.

When you can buy a box 366, and a box 480 cheap.

They were a joined set. Have a failure with one or the other it was cheaper and easier to get 2 more.

And again I now use an adaptor flange. Works for me?

Back