68 chevy dt 360 project

caveman5656

im lookin at buildin a 68 chevy body on a 87 chevy ton chassis with a dt360 ih diesel engine. any thoughts, suggestions or other input would be greatly appreciated!

dt is comin out of a school bus. thinkin bout runnin a 4 spd auxillary box out of an old 2 ton chevy for gear nit pickin. what pump and turbo are you using? i have access to a dt466 inline pump and several ag turbos and im not sure what to run.

Pump and turbo for starters. the P on the 466 is usually the 3000 series. Buildable but supposedly finicky to fuel supply... The other stuff is mostly different...

You might not be able to pull for 2 reasons...

1) Non Stock engine that came in a 1ton Chassis or less
2) Non Stock Transmission that came in a 1ton Chassis or less

But cool conversion otherwise.

i'll get to pull at some places and im not really building this just to pull a sled anyway. was gonna use 466 but everybody cries about how much bigger it is. so ill just pull the same size engine as everyone else and have a truck that i can turn down and still use. i personally think that a cummins should be only in a dodge, dmax only in a gm and an ih engine s only in a ford. i understand that the cummins is the chevy 350 of the diesel world but they are all awesome powermakers. some just cost more to build. to each his own i just happen to be international guy. thanks again for all the input on this crazy idea of mine and i will not ever mean to say anyone here is wrong or that im right, we just may not agree on everything. thanks again.

Bout time you got on here Mickey!!! We will get that thing lined out... just gonna take some time.

Thanks I'm shure you will do just fine.The old ford does alright.starting to need some TLC she has been negleted for a while been working on tomany other things like a pulling truck are 2.
I almost put a 366 out of a big street sweeper about 25yrs ago when they were delivering the motor their truck was in a wreck and was totaled the 366 was to banged up for me to take a chance on it.so in 1989 I put a 372 perkins in the old girl then in 1996 I put the 6.0 Perkins phasser in it much stronger motor.:woohoo:

Dale

Last edited:
Back