GN: 17.5 Single Tandem or Dual Tandem...

Nor'Easter

Planning on acquiring new/used GN by Spring to move around restoration projects/ bringing trucks to shows. Trailer will be 16,000GVWR 25'-28' long. I don't believe such a number is responsible to throw on a trailer with 7k axles like PJ and Gator do, so I am looking at 8k axles on single 17.5" wheels, or the jump to 10k axles on dual 16" wheels with a heavy derate down to 16,000.

Pricing out the above, both are right around $8000-8500, if you exclude the manufacturers that think their **** is gold plated. I am after a basic no-frills trailer with two ramps and dual jacks, tool box... no extra fancy features. The downside to going with dual tandem is the extra 500-ish pounds of curb weight, extra rolling drag, twice as many tires to replace. Upside is I like having the wheels out wider (more stable) and they look stouter.

Thoughts?

Dual wheels. I hate single tires. No safety margin, or ability to keep rolling to get to the next tire shop.

We actually run dual 17.5's on our 24K trailer after blowing 9 in 2 years...It's plenty of tire now, no problems and the trailer rides better.
Chris

Take a look at the brakes between both setups, that alone should convince you to go with the dual axles.

Love singles unless I need flotation then duals are best..
Both tandem 12k trailers I drag are 17.5 singles 18ply tires

Take a look at the brakes between both setups, that alone should convince you to go with the dual axles.

8k run 12.25*3.375
LD/GD/HD 10k 12.25*3.375/4"/5" wide drums
If braking is a concern.. EOH disc but that's ~4000.00 option or 2000 is you do it yourself

Pending MFG most people have the single sitting g at or close to the edge of the trailer

I don't seem to see many (any) issues with guys running 17.5s. The 16s seem to have issues whether they are on single or dual wheels.

As mentioned the 8k axle brakes are same as 10k. A 16k on 8k axles will only load each axle to maybe 90% of max whereas the same rating on 7ks will be 100% load and a minimum of 2k pin weight. I don't like running fine lines like that.

I wish I could get a single tandem with a wider track width. Cope the side rails out and the tires can be pushed out another 4" easy on each side. Lot more stress on axle tube though.

Last edited:
I had a 14k on singles but was overloading it, found a used 20k with duels.
Good 16" tires are difficult to find and it's a bit of a pain airing up the inside tires, wish I could have afforded an 18k with 17.5 singles.

I'd go dual without a doubt. 17.5's duals are great, but if you're legit only going 16k I wouldn't be afraid of e range 16's. I've had better luck with E range truck tires than actual trailer tires. Could just have them build you a legit 16k trailer with 10k axles so you can haul more payload than a derated 20k.

I'd go hydraulic drum if it's going to sit for extended periods of time, and disc if it's getting used frequently.

I changed my 16" wheels and tire's to 17.5's after having problems with 16's blowing out and tread separating. Haven't had any trouble since changing to 17.5's. They also seem to pull easier and are more stable.

Goodyear has came out with a USA made trailer tire now that's supposed to be much better quality than the china tire's.

Endurance Specs | Goodyear Tires

Back