Transgo Shaft Seals / Lockup

motormayhem

Hi All,
Got a trans with ~1k on it since rebuild. At that time it also got a billet single disk converter with a 1800 stall speed. I want to throw a transgo shift kit in there to stiffen things up. Looking at the instructions, I see the kit comes with a few seals that go behind the front pump. I originally thought the transgo could be put in without pulling the transmission which is why I waited to shake out the rebuild first. My question is are those seals new factory type or are they a different design? Obviously with the rebuild I have brand new seals there, just out of the master rebuild kit. I’d hate to pull the transmission again to replace perfectly good seals if they are the same. I was hoping to open the boost valve orifice to 0.085in range, will I blow out those seals doing that? Thanks!

You’ll be fine . Many people including me don’t use those scarf cut seals that come in the shift kit. Metal clad factory type sealing rings are preferred.

There are several other fairly Inexpensive parts that go well with the shift kit. Servo cover , accumulator, strut, anchor , apply lever that’s stronger than stock- though you have to pull the tranny to change the apply lever

The only thing you have to worry about is bending the stock strut - easy fix, breaking the apply lever , 50$ part but have to drop the trans, snapped off input shaft if lock up is to hard. I think you’d be fine .085 it’s the other lock up mod that makes it hit real hard in conjunction. Drilling through the upper vb where the switch valve goes.

Snapping an input shaft will destroy the converter, , pump, and possibly more

Thanks for the reply. I ended up leaving the factory factory metallic seals in there. I did upgrade the strut while I was in there and didn't go too wild on the boost valve orifice (0.081in) and its a single disk so lockup hits firm but not crazy hard. Overall it seems to be working as it should.

Back