Kdp fix done differently

Downtownbrown

Came across this on instagram... Never seen it done like this before seems like a whole lot of effort for the same effect :doh:
attachment.php

Any particular reason it would be done this way?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171003-052658~2.png
    Screenshot_20171003-052658~2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
probably because he had the timing cover off and didn't like the idea of a weird flat washer being one loose bolt away from being ingested. I like the fix. hopefully the bolt comes close enough to the pin it cant move much.

This is an old fix from back in the day. I'm pretty sure it originated on TDR. This fix was favored at the time because you didn't have to remove the front cover. They had several jigs for drilling the hole in the correct place that they swapped around and they'd have "KDP Jig Fix" rally's where they'd do a bunch of trucks all in one day.

I had a jig available when I did mine but I chose to remove the cover and tab it.

This is an old fix from back in the day. I'm pretty sure it originated on TDR. This fix was favored at the time because you didn't have to remove the front cover. They had several jigs for drilling the hole in the correct place that they swapped around and they'd have "KDP Jig Fix" rally's where they'd do a bunch of trucks all in one day.

I had a jig available when I did mine but I chose to remove the cover and tab it.

Yep, I did a few using the KDP jig. I think the only thing required was removal of a few items that were in the way.

A guy that has the cover off, has a good drill bit and tap, and doesn't have a large washer and grinder might think this is the quickest option! I don't see a problem with it. I'd just be worried about oil weeping out over time, and some nasty galvanic corrosion.

That was a very common fix for the KDP issue. I know I saw at least a dozen done that way back in 08/09ish.

Mmkay, so the aluminum shavings that will likely drop in the engine are worth saving like 45 minutes and $50 in gaskets/seals?

I see now, doing the job without pulling the front cover, that's a good idea kinda. Put grease on the drill bit and tap and go slow to catch most of it. Never thought of that.

I see now, doing the job without pulling the front cover, that's a good idea kinda. Put grease on the drill bit and tap and go slow to catch most of it. Never thought of that.
Just plug the crank case vent and start the engine! lol :bang

Just plug the crank case vent and start the engine! lol :bang

Take your time and coat the drill bit and tap with heavy grease so the shavings stick, I could do it and not get any aluminium inside the case. Also a small shaving of aluminum will not hurt anything, going off memory I've done about 7 kdp's, don't feel like doing another, I'm gonna measure off a front case I have and make up a jig if I have to do another.

Back