Girdle material?

Hey for the guys out there that have made their own girdles or work in the industry what is the material most commonly used or acceptable to use for a main bearing girdle?

I remember a thread years back where it was discussed and opinions were all over the place, some 4340 chromoly, some 1018 and some plain A36(mild). Since the sport has really progressed since then I’d like to know what people Have settled on. I know there are plenty of people out there spinning high R’s and making 1000hp without one but even with that, while i’m Rebuilding my engine I’m very interested in doing one. I already cut one out of 3/8” mild and got all the holes drilled and would like to use it if it’s sufficient.

What’s everyone’s opinion about which style is better, sandwiching the girdle between the ARP nut on the main cap and another nut on top of the girdle or using a spacer (of 1018 CR?) between the main cap and girdle and using the ARP main nut on top of the girdle to cinch it all down? I appreciate any feedback on this y’all

Engineered Diesel custom made mine out of I believe 1/2” plate steel. They also custom machined my block so the girdle fit on top of the mains and in between the pan rails with 14mm main studs holding it together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5a942400f9c1c3c8ee386bcb1d5a9073.jpg
e1e018db388385d7c3702ae7f0ef1a1b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks slick, it looks like no spacers between the girdle and the main caps? Any idea if it was just mild Steel or something different?

Looks slick, it looks like no spacers between the girdle and the main caps? Any idea if it was just mild Steel or something different?

No spacers. The caps had to be machined to all be the same and the girdle sits fiush on top of the caps. Then everything torqued to spec. Line board and Machine honed to spec. It’s just mild steel.

A36, 1/2" thick spacers, 3/4" thick girdle.

Sweet. I think I’ll just go with what I have then and not worry about it. I got some 7/16”x1” 1018CR to make the spacers out of. I should only have to shave them down about .030” to go on the main caps.

I don’t have one yet Red but I could probably draw one up.

Back