Intercooler leaking

Mazak

I just bought a 97 12 valve and was difficult to drive without blowing lots of black smoke. A local tech said the intercooler had a lot of pin holes in it and was causing the excessive smoke. It has a larger turbo on it as well.

Did not know a leaking intercooler would cause the smoke.
Does the diagnoses seem correct ?

Yes, you're losing air out the intercooler that should be going into the engine.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Most all old stock intercoolers will have some pin hole leaks if you pressure check them, what turbo are you running?

Going with a BD intercooler. Just got the truck so working the bugs out. I thought fuel was just turned up to much. Once intercooler is changed ,I would suppose I will get more boost and lower EGT's. Correct ?

Read up on afc tuning, save your money on the aftermarket intercooler. Will make no difference with your issue, alot more bang for the buck spent elsewhere.

Got the truck back and all I can say is WOW ! Much more power. Hits 55 lbs boost in no time, lowered EGT'S and I can drive,normally, without smoking up a 4 lane highway.

So you changed the intercooler and it totally changed the truck from being almost undrivable to completely driveable?

Figure out exactly what your turbo is and it will save you a lot of grief along the way. Also figure out what all was done on the fuel side; injector size, DV size, fuel plate depending on the pump, gov springs, and what the timing is set at.

Last edited:
So you changed the intercooler and it totally changed the truck from being almost undrivable to completely driveable?

Figure out exactly what your turbo is and it will save you a lot of grief along the way. Also figure out what all was done on the fuel side; injector size, DV size, fuel plate depending on the pump, gov springs, and what the timing is set at.

It was very difficult to drive without blowing smoke everywhere. Now it is controllable.

I was told when I purchased it had :
Southbend #3250 dual disc
Hamilton cams 188/220 camshaft
Remand P-pump w/4K governor springs
.009 delivery valves
Remand stock injectors
Turbo similar to a HX50
4" down pipe
full 5" Exhaust
Airaid intake
ATS exhaust manifold
Head remained with Arp studs
Oringed head
Marine gasket
60 # valve springs

I think the guy said timing was at 22 degrees.
Truck was previously an auto .

How do I determine which P-pump was installed?
Would a pic help for you guys to determine turbo ?

The pump should have an I'd tag on it. You should be able to use the sticky at the top of this category to figure out what type pump you have, but yes with a good pic someone will know model it is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Depending on who remanded the pump it may be a bit of a chore to figure out what it is. There is a data tag on the side towards the front of it. A picture of it and the turbo would be of help.

Here is the turbo. Will get pump pics . Been busy with getting a lift installed at the house today. :)

2exqxyu.jpg

Back