Best tires to dyno a 1600 hp truck

Micheal Tomac

been pulling forever
Friend of mine hit 1600hp with his Duramax on fuel and wants to make some nitrous passes but he needs more tire. What 16" or 17" tires would be the best to dyno a high hp truck?

Last edited:
I use Proxies and at over 1600hp have not had a failure. Air pressure up to max on a high speed rated tire is needed plus allowing for cooling if doing multiple runs. I have installed a large screen on the side of our rollers because of tire failures on big HP stuff. Sure scares the crap out of yah when they go.

Proxies are great I know Dmitri was running proxies the same tire from he was in DPC yea that old and just now had a failure at waglers.

When we first strapped down Todd's new monster triple turbo race truck, we were having difficulty maintaining traction at just 1200 measured HP. The truck is running 18" raceline wheels with Mickey Thomspon Sportsman S/R 28x12 tires.

After strapping down the truck various ways, we found a strap angle/method that really helped with traction and now can start runs in 1st or 2nd gear and do full-power gear shifts up through all (4) gears. Now the problem is spinning the tires on the rims, on bad runs we're getting 2" of tire slippage on a single run. Here's a short video from when it was making pulls in the 1200 to 1500 HP range.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zrx362yze8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zrx362yze8[/ame]

When we first strapped down Todd's new monster triple turbo race truck, we were having difficulty maintaining traction at just 1200 measured HP. The truck is running 18" raceline wheels with Mickey Thomspon Sportsman S/R 28x12 tires.

After strapping down the truck various ways, we found a strap angle/method that really helped with traction and now can start runs in 1st or 2nd gear and do full-power gear shifts up through all (4) gears. Now the problem is spinning the tires on the rims, on bad runs we're getting 2" of tire slippage on a single run. Here's a short video from when it was making pulls in the 1200 to 1500 HP range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zrx362yze8

Have you bought a screw kit for the tires?

Have you bought a screw kit for the tires?

This is on the "street" tires, not the DOT Drag Radials, we'll just have to keep on eye on them and hope they don't tear the bead off.

FYI, guys that strap the truck on the back of the rollers thinking "if it has to climb the roller it will hook up better and tighten the straps" are dead wrong!

Strapped down on the top of the roller works well when the tires are slightly deflated and for single gear pulls with minimal strapping or straps that stretch.

For maximum traction/shift spikes/simulated 1/4mile runs 1st thru 4th gear runs with heavy loading via eddy brakes, you have to strap down on the front portion of the roller, but have enough straps, correct strap angle, proper down tension, etc. to make it stay put and not stretch enough to come forward off the rollers and rub the ground.

Last edited:
This is on the "street" tires, not the DOT Drag Radials, we'll just have to keep on eye on them and hope they don't tear the bead off.

FYI, guys that strap the truck on the back of the rollers thinking "if it has to climb the roller it will hook up better and tighten the straps" are dead wrong!

Strapped down on the top of the roller works well when the tires are slightly deflated and for single gear pulls with minimal strapping or straps that stretch.

For maximum traction/shift spikes/simulated 1/4mile runs 1st thru 4th gear runs with heavy loading via eddy brakes, you have to strap down on the front portion of the roller, but have enough straps, correct strap angle, proper down tension, etc. to make it stay put and not stretch enough to come forward off the rollers and rub the ground.

I'd really be eager to drive out there and spend a day or two on the rollers. I hope Todd's offer is still open. It is slow goin in the hobby world this year.

I'd really be eager to drive out there and spend a day or two on the rollers. I hope Todd's offer is still open. It is slow goin in the hobby world this year.

We let people light up the dyno all the time, especially Comp D guys or competitors we race against so we know what they got... :hehe:

The offer is still good, that truck is welcome on our dyno anytime! I can't wait to see what it does!

We could make a trip out there together Adam. *nx* I've talked to Will about it a few times and it sounds like a good time. Maybe our trucks will be done around the same time. LOL

Back