1.19 60ft?!

What’s a promod? Seems like a really loose term tossed around... fwiw Johnny Gilbert has a complete tube frame 4wd deep in the 5’s at 4500#ish but it’s not considered pro mod because it’s heavy??

You’ll get a lot of debate about what is or isn’t a pro mod.

Carbon fiber or fiberglass body = pro mod.
I’d say a steel body (roof/quarters on a car, or cab on a truck) and original vin tag would mean it’s not a pro mod. Weight doesn’t have much to do with it, it just so happens to be the name picked by some diesel classes. A stock 3000# jetta tdi isn’t a pro mod.

I'd say that the Diesel World of Drag Racing is somewhat different than the accepted NHRA standards of Drag Racing and therefore the term ProMod will be somewhat different for each.

For diesel drag racing the ProMod class seems to fit pretty well with the accepted ProMod terminology in diesel circles... If you stuff a diesel engine into a lightweight car or truck and drag race it, you will be doing it in a ProMod class and it can effectively be called a ProMod even if it is a steel bodied car still since it will be much lighter than a diesel truck with a full frame or even back half running the same engine combination. I don't believe the CumStang was running a full fiberglass body but it was still very much a ProMod in diesel racing circles.

If Johnny Gilbert pulled some more weight out of his truck and ran it with a steel cab in ProMod it would be a ProMod, but because he runs it at a weight that wont fit in the ProMod class and is appropriate for the Pro Street class it is still a Pro Street truck.

It takes a lot of work to get ANY truck down to ProMod weight!!!

I don't remember the weight on JPs truck, but even though it is a very light 4WD it probably still fits best in the Pro Street class like Lavon's truck. Yet the tube chassis Firepunk built S-10 is a lightweight drag truck that is surely a ProMod.

I'm referring to Taylor's truck as a pro-mod only simply because the only section of factory frame is directly under the cab, so technically cant run pro-street. The weight thing is just a by-product of the build.

I'm referring to Taylor's truck as a pro-mod only simply because the only section of factory frame is directly under the cab, so technically cant run pro-street. The weight thing is just a by-product of the build.

depending on what racing organization. ODSS the only rule in pro street is 4500lb minimum and the corresponding safety equipment for the ET

I remember back when pro street wouldn't allow tube chassis. You could be back half but no tube under body. They are either catering rules to top performers or trying to make the class safer with better handling. I'm not going to judge on either opinion due to the fact that I'm not a part of the racing scene. Just my observation

Back before transbrakes, crazy engine stebacks, glass/carbon everything, etc.

At one point, a $16k truck could compete in ProStreet- Not so much anymore.

Back before transbrakes, crazy engine stebacks, glass/carbon everything, etc.

At one point, a $16k truck could compete in ProStreet- Not so much anymore.

I doubt you could build any of the competitive Pro Street engines for $16,000!!! Much less have a chassis to put it in and driveline to put the power to the wheels!!!

The innovation and performance is awesome, but racing is not a poor man's sport! It never has been, and I doubt it ever will be.

But with diesel performance there are classes that daily drivers can compete and have fun in while being driven to work during the week and to the track on the weekends!!!

I'm just happy a 4x4 is so quick! As time has progressed, I've started to care less and less about classes and more about the vehicles themselves.

Back