VW Bug common rail diesel with stand alone BOXEER ECU

Boxerdiesel

Hello there,

I'm starting to do some drag racing with our little bug and we are learning a lot!

We are going to race Pikes Peak race to the clouds in June but right now I'm trying to nail some power at the drag strip as Pikes peak essentially is a bunch on 1/8" of a mile for 14 miles.

Here is a video of the bug: Boxeer Plug Play Kit - STAGE4 VW TDI 240 CR - YouTube

Here is a video at the track: 180225_Boxeer_MusicCityRacewayG on Vimeo

I'm doing 8.85 on the 1/8 of the mile at the moment but I had multiple problems such as no oil cooler and blew a turbo!

the pedal got loose and could only get 70% of pedal

IAT to the roof because intercooler is located in a hard to cool spot...

Questions: what is reasonable ACCEPTABLE IAT if the recommended EGT for tubo is 1600F

What is acceptable oil temperature? I'm going to add external cooler too just because ;-)

what's a good high flow air filter?

Thanks and talk soon with better numbers

Greg

Hello there,

I'm starting to do some drag racing with our little bug and we are learning a lot!

We are going to race Pikes Peak race to the clouds in June but right now I'm trying to nail some power at the drag strip as Pikes peak essentially is a bunch on 1/8" of a mile for 14 miles.

Here is a video of the bug: Boxeer Plug Play Kit - STAGE4 VW TDI 240 CR - YouTube

Here is a video at the track: 180225_Boxeer_MusicCityRacewayG on Vimeo

I'm doing 8.85 on the 1/8 of the mile at the moment but I had multiple problems such as no oil cooler and blew a turbo!

the pedal got loose and could only get 70% of pedal

IAT to the roof because intercooler is located in a hard to cool spot...

Questions: what is reasonable ACCEPTABLE IAT if the recommended EGT for tubo is 1600F

What is acceptable oil temperature? I'm going to add external cooler too just because ;-)

Greg

Great looking little Bug!!! Very cool swap and good looking fabrication work!!!

I'm down near Chattanooga and would like to get together with you to shoot a feature on the car for the diesel magazines!

Cool project! Did you develop the ECU?

On the mechanical engines IAT was happiest anywhere between 100-500F. Ideally as close to the 100F as you can get it. Exceeding 500F caused issues with excessive heat in the cooling and exhaust systems.

Should always be roughly the same as coolant temps. I like to shoot for 190F. Depending on the oil you're running it will start to break down at higher temps. With a good racing oil like Brad Penn, you can stretch the reasonable limits.

Greg

I prefer any of the dry AFE, S&B, etc.

What intake temps are you seeing now? Shouldn't be anywhere near 500F, maybe the compressor discharge, but after the cooler should stay well below 200F unless your cooler is doing NOTHING.

As said, cooler the oil the better, but don't be scared of 230-250F. Depends on where you're monitoring the oil temps also.

Thanks for the comment and Help! I'll make it to the track Tuesday or Friday and look at the numbers IAT and OIL temp. I'm also in the process to move from Air to air to water to air with Ice box. For the Pikes Peak 10mn race it should be perfect!

The engine is stock 2.0 commonrail VWTdi with stock sensors and stock injectors with a large turbo GTB2260VK it makes 250hp to the wheels.

1758615.jpg

I'll try to keep up the progress as we make our way to Pikes Peak race to the clouds 2018.

Stay in touch

Greg

Thanks for the comment and Help! I'll make it to the track Tuesday or Friday and look at the numbers IAT and OIL temp. I'm also in the process to move from Air to air to water to air with Ice box. For the Pikes Peak 10mn race it should be perfect!

The engine is stock 2.0 commonrail VWTdi with stock sensors and stock injectors with a large turbo GTB2260VK it makes 250hp to the wheels.

1758615.jpg

I'll try to keep up the progress as we make our way to Pikes Peak race to the clouds 2018.

Stay in touch

Greg

Curb weight? Being a VW, can it still float?!:lolly:

Good evening!
Some more progress! I replaced the air to air intercooler with a water to air intercooler. That allowed me to use the scoop cooling!So I added an oil cooler and air forced air box. The water to air intercooler is getting an Ice box since Pikes Peak race is only about 11mn we should be stylin'

1762894.jpg

Greg

Thats going to be a huge ice box. I use 30lbs in one quarter mile pass and the water is hot at the end of the track.

Back