Best place to buy shop lights?

Hope some of you are still here. I'm trying to figure out the same for my new 40x72x14 shop. Trying to figure out a good layout and how many I will need for good light. Randall12v, did you get yours up? Interested to see how it turned out

What is the installed height of the lights? I am still a firm believer in fluorescent lights. LEDs have dropped and are getting more cost competitive. However look into a t5ho or t8 fluorescent

Yeah I have searched around on garage journal. Seems most there are die hard 4500 lumen 4' LED sold at Costco for $35.
http://www.costco.com/4’-LED-Shop-L...'+shop+light&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=
I thought about buying 30 of those but didn't know how they would work with high ceilings and install would be more difficult with that many. My ceiling are 14' and the lights will be surface mounted. After posting in this thread and reading a few others on here I just bought 12 of these.
http://www.badwgroup.com/products/hfb3e454apsmv000000i
Couldn't pass up the 10% off and free shipping through midnight tonight. They include bulbs as well. Figured I would mount them in 3 rows of 4 and put each row on a switch.

Last edited:
Yeah I have searched around on garage journal. Seems most there are die hard 4500 lumen 4' LED sold at Costco for $35.
http://www.costco.com/4’-LED-Shop-L...'+shop+light&langId=-1&storeId=10301&refine=
I thought about buying 30 of those but didn't know how they would work with high ceilings and install would be more difficult with that many. My ceiling are 14' and the lights will be surface mounted. After posting in this thread and reading a few others on here I just bought 12 of these.
http://www.badwgroup.com/products/hfb3e454apsmv000000i
Couldn't pass up the 10% off and free shipping through midnight tonight. They include bulbs as well. Figured I would mount them in 3 rows of 4 and put each row on a switch.
Looks good

I have been searching a lot on garage journal also. I will be mounting lights 16-18' (scissor trusses). Still going back and forth between T8 and T5. I have a little bit of time to figure it out.

Looks good
It aught to work. Hopefully the 5000k isn't too bright with tin walls and celings. All the data can be found here. Most of it is jibberush to me
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&so...xfydce8MmMY5dhzJQ&sig2=H93XyXXBRHpy1ErwUul9Qg
I have been searching a lot on garage journal also. I will be mounting lights 16-18' (scissor trusses). Still going back and forth between T8 and T5. I have a little bit of time to figure it out.
I was in the same boat too. What sold me is the 6lamp t8 fixture was more money and less lumen than the 4 lamp t5. I to am not quite ready for them. My builder isn't moving so fast with this chitty weather. He has about half the trusses up so far. Just couldn't pass up the $100 savings.

No matter what light you buy double the number anyone tells you you'll need. Anyone that's ever worked on anything in a shop knows you can never have too much light. Electrical supply store local told friend with the size of his shop 4 would be "plenty". 12 T8 Highbay's later and you can actually see what your working on.

At that height you should be fine with the t5ho

Hope some of you are still here. I'm trying to figure out the same for my new 40x72x14 shop. Trying to figure out a good layout and how many I will need for good light. Randall12v, did you get yours up? Interested to see how it turned out

Yes got them up. So far put 6 of the 9 that I bought up, they are bright but I'm very happy with my decision of 6500k bulbs and T5. Would suggest it for 14' sidewalls for sure!

image.jpg

picture.php

picture.php

This is a similar setup that I pulled off garage journal. Rows of 4 lamp T8 fixtures. This is on a 14' sidewall scissor truss garage.

Who needs lights? I just stumbled on a pile of mainly 6 bulb T8 lights. Orion fixtures. Are setup for 227V but can be changed to 110v just via wiring.

I bought 70 of them :D

I'm installing 18 in my 32x40 garage, 2 in my 2 car garage, and 15 in my fathers garages.

The rest I will be selling.

Looking for 30 bucks a piece with bulbs. SOme do have stainless enclosures too. Also there will be a couple 4 bulb and 5 bulb deals.

PART95145264607463995.IMG952016011295194736.jpg

I was told that all worked when removed but some had bulbs out.

PART95145264610255595.IMG952016011295194756.jpg

Last edited:
I'm using 8' 4 bulb T8's from lowes, the metalux series strip shoplights in my 40x80x14 shop. I have 12 currently running in two lines down the center of the shop and just purchased 15 more to finish up the north and south sides of the shop.

link to the lights
http://www.lowes.com/pd_163723-337-8TSNF-232-UNV-EB81-U___?productId=3181905&pl=1&Ntt=metalux+fluorescent+fixture

lighting plan - on the north (top) side of the drawing, there will be 6 lights instead of the 3 listed there as I'm not building a paint bay in that corner. Plans are now to build an 80' x 18' lean too off the back of the shop and enclose part of it for a paint bay and a wood working area. That part is still a year or more off in the future to get the lean toos built. Front will have an 80' x 12' lean too added as well.
10237650984_973eebe844_b.jpg

I see that Sam's club now offers 8' LED shop lights. They are about $80 per fixture and 8000 lumen. It would be half as many fixtures as it used to be when you could only buy 4' fixtures. These LED fixtures in the 4' variety have been discussed in length on garage journal and other forums with fairly good reviews. They would be still plug in style unless changed by the end user.

Still not sure that I am sold on the LED and especially with my 16' ceilings but it is tempting for me to try a layout like the one above in post #33.

Last edited:
Back