Paint safe engine degreaser?

MegaCabRam

I spilled oil all over the side of my freshly rebuilt engine, new alternator, a/c compressor etc... it's all new and now its all covered in oil, that's what happens when you try and use a funnel that holds a half gallon of oil and you don't realize it's got a outlet hole the size of a dime. I wiped it down the best I could but something is still going to have to be done before it becomes a dirt magnet. I spent more hours than I can count cleaning under the hood of this truck so I don't want it to ever get in the shape it was in when I got it. Everything that's not new is painted with high temp engine enamel. Right now the plan is to just use dish detergent and water but I'd like to find something a little stronger that's not going to hurt the paint.

It's not perfect but I'm happy with how it turned out.
20150508_174522.jpg

I love purple power. It can take some of the pigment off of paint if left on too long but works great. I use it on my dinosaur 12v though so little different than a perty wire machine.

If it is just clean spilled oil then I am sure anything mild will work.

I use the purple cleaner in the purple jug. If you dilute that before spraying I think it would be fine.

I like the ?gunk? foaming engine degreaser from any parts store if you're just using it for oil/light dirt accumulation. For actual built up crud, simple green or purple power mixed full strength works great. I don't care what they say about non toxic, keep the area ventilated. simple green will burn your throat bad.

Just do not buy the regular gunk engine degreaser. It is just diesel fuel in a can. Literally nothing more than red diesel fuel in a can.

Which mineral spirits and diesel fuel work well as degreaser as well.

Just do not buy the regular gunk engine degreaser. It is just diesel fuel in a can. Literally nothing more than red diesel fuel in a can.

Which mineral spirits and diesel fuel work well as degreaser as well.

I didn't know all that, but the foaming version works awesome. and it's cheap at autozone.

I'm not even sure I know what mineral spirits are LOL Is it an alcoholic beverage?

zep citrus degreaser, works so much better than purple power..
But I would run simple green.. lot less abrasive to paint.

Yea it's just clean spilled oil, probably a little dirt after today. Is the simple green kind of like mean green? I may just try the hot water and dish detergent first and see how that works

I've used this ^ stuff. Works great!!!

Not sure if that's what Brandon was talking about. BUT I'll vouch for the zep brand, plus it kills lots of nasty odors.

Just to reiterate... Simple Green.

I have a bug sprayer full of Simple Green that I use to take off oil, built up grease, soot, brake dust and just about anything else.My 855 likes to bathe it self in oil so every time I wash it I hose down the dry engine with Simple Green and spray it off. Engine looks like it was freshly painted every time. Just be sure the engine is cool and dry when you spray it on.

Best degreaser I ever used. Paint , rubber, foam safe. Pricey though........About $55 a gallon but it goes along way. 50/50 mix with water and it turns grease to liquid in seconds. Never tried more dillution than that. Just degreased a CAT 3126 that was BLACK from the tappet covers down. It looked like new when I was done and it took maybe 15 minutes start to finish.

http://www.rapidtac.com/rapid-remover.html

Yes, I know it says Adhesive Remover................just try it. But it removes stickers incredibly well also.

Last edited:
Purple power is pretty good, didn't want to take the most stubborn naked on crud off my block though

Back